ULX

Author Topic: Making a rank higher than superadmin  (Read 5912 times)

Offline Freeza

Making a rank higher than superadmin
« on: December 07, 2016, 01:10:50 PM »
So as my subject states, how do I make a rank higher than superadmin but without issues??

Ulib version: 2.61 SVN
Ulx version: 2.71 SVN

Gamemode: Darkrp

Thank you for helping me!!

Offline Scout | Anthony F

Re: Making a rank higher than superadmin
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 01:43:17 PM »
You don't! You will ruin Garry's Mod's permission system! Superadmin is supposed to be the highest rank!

Look at this: http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,6291.0.html

If you want to inherit superadmin to a new owner group using xgui [!menu] and call it owner.

If you need anymore help add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/scoutmc/

Offline Bytewave

• Respected Community Member
  • :)
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 01:53:28 PM »
As Anthony said, you really shouldn't create a group higher than superadmin for the sole purpose that it's expected as root. You won't break anything, per se, but superadmins are expected to have the highest permission in plugins not supporting ULX. So, any call to IsSuperAdmin() expecting to only match root users may have unintended results. You can create a rank higher than superadmin if you'd like, but it's recommended you instead just use whatever other addons you have available to you to change the appearance of rank names instead of creating a group as a workaround, especially if you're going to repurpose the superadmin role and give it to people you don't trust with absolute control over non-UL(X|ib)-integrated addons.
bw81@ulysses-forums ~ % whoami
Homepage

Offline Freeza

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 02:42:45 AM »
Do you have any addon suggestions about it?

Edit: Is it possible that I can create a rank lower than superadmin but almost as high permissions as superadmin? Can I also modify the admin group? I also want to create a false superadmin and its lower than head admin. Should i name it with a cap? Can i also rename the superadmin rank, if not what will cause the issues?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:58:15 AM by Freeza »

Offline Freeza

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 09:22:50 AM »
Can someone answer this? It would be helpful!! Thanks!

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 09:50:10 AM »
In your game console as superadmin, or on server console, type "ulx usermanagementhelp".
You can use ULX to create any group you want. You just have to know what permissions you want to inherit, and if you add any it doesn't inherit.
XGUI menu makes that much easier.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Freeza

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 09:52:33 AM »
Ok, but if i rename superadmin, will it cause any issues? If yes, what issues will be caused or could be?

Offline Bytewave

• My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 11:29:44 AM »
Ok, but if i rename superadmin, will it cause any issues? If yes, what issues will be caused or could be?
Garry's Mod is hardcoded to check for the superadmin group in calls to IsSuperAdmin(). ULX does not change this behavior, only adds inheritance checking.
Renaming superadmin breaks everything, basically. DO NOT DELETE OR RENAME SUPERADMIN, EVER.

Again, use other addons (scoreboard ranks, chat tags, etc) to change the name players see, but leave the actual group name alone.
Homepage

Offline Freeza

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 11:30:57 AM »
Garry's Mod is hardcoded to check for the superadmin group in calls to IsSuperAdmin(). ULX does not change this behavior, only adds inheritance checking.
Renaming superadmin breaks everything, basically. DO NOT DELETE OR RENAME SUPERADMIN, EVER.

Again, use other addons (scoreboard ranks, chat tags, etc) to change the name players see, but leave the actual group name alone.

But, i want to make a superadmin rank aswell (false one, under head admin), what should i do? Should i have a cap letter or?

Offline Bytewave

• My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 11:34:38 AM »
But, i want to make a superadmin rank aswell (false one, under head admin), what should i do? Should i have a cap letter or?
Just name it sadmin or realsuperadmin or something. Again, chat tags, scoreboard ranks, etc can change what players actually see.
Homepage

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 01:04:32 PM »
Groups != Teams

Players on your server do not see groups.. groups are handled by code ONLY.

Players only see teams.

Some addons convert groups INTO teams.

What we are suggesting you do is use one of the many addons out there that gives you control over how the teams are displayed to your players.

You could essentially have your group hierarchy set up like this:

superadmin
group1
group2
admin
group4
group5
group6

Then with those addons you could have the GROUP superadmin display as whatever you want.. it could display as "Head Admin" if you want.

The point we're all trying to make is that the display name for a group does NOT have to be what the group is called.

Just because a group is called superadmin doesn't mean it has to appear as "Superadmin" to your players.

Offline Freeza

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 01:14:34 PM »
Groups != Teams

Players on your server do not see groups.. groups are handled by code ONLY.

Players only see teams.

Some addons convert groups INTO teams.

What we are suggesting you do is use one of the many addons out there that gives you control over how the teams are displayed to your players.

You could essentially have your group hierarchy set up like this:

superadmin
group1
group2
admin
group4
group5
group6

Then with those addons you could have the GROUP superadmin display as whatever you want.. it could display as "Head Admin" if you want.

The point we're all trying to make is that the display name for a group does NOT have to be what the group is called.

Just because a group is called superadmin doesn't mean it has to appear as "Superadmin" to your players.

Ok, but is it possible that i can restrict commands from admin?? I dont want to change the admin otherwise.

Offline Bytewave

• My Homepage
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 02:00:58 PM »
Ok, but is it possible that i can restrict commands from admin?? I dont want to change the admin otherwise.
Change permissions through xgui all you want. Nothing prevents you from that.
Just remember that Garry's Mod believes there are three access levels: guest, admin, and superadmin. Addons written without ULib in mind will use these three access levels exclusively. Typically, admin access is for staff members, and superadmin access is for server owners. Keep this in mind when you set up your inheritance, restrict commands, allocate groups, etc.
Homepage

Offline Freeza

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 02:07:04 PM »
Change permissions through xgui all you want. Nothing prevents you from that.
Just remember that Garry's Mod believes there are three access levels: guest, admin, and superadmin. Addons written without ULib in mind will use these three access levels exclusively. Typically, admin access is for staff members, and superadmin access is for server owners. Keep this in mind when you set up your inheritance, restrict commands, allocate groups, etc.

So i should be okay with editing admin rank without any issues or? (im having fadmin disabled)

Offline Freeza

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 03:42:56 AM »
And, i want to make a rank called head of staff, should i inherit it from admin? (head of staff should be able to spawn guns)