ULX

Author Topic: Learning Python  (Read 4202 times)

Offline iViscosity

• Respected Community Member
Learning Python
« on: January 07, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »
So I'm sure many of you here are familiar at least with other programming languages, and I'm looking to learn something new. Python is one of the first things that I thought of because it seemed interesting to learn. Currently I'm using "The Hitchhikers Guide to Python" to learn some of the basics, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a language I should learn or they think is interesting, or something like that. Or, if there's a better place to learn how to use Python or something like that.
I'm iViscosity. I like gaming and programming. Need some help? Shoot me PM.

Offline BlueNova

• The most powerful force in the universe.
Re: Learning Python
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 09:42:23 PM »
If you haven't used these yet then you could try the succinctly e-books. I use them for mostly any programming language I'm interested in learning.

Here's a link to Python Succinctly if you're interested in them.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 10:14:37 PM »
If you're wanting server-side code, PHP is fun.
Though python can be used, and has lots of framworks for, server-side stuff, I've always thought PHP is better, totally IMO.
However, I wish I knew more python - I run a plex server, and so many python apps have been created for it's API that I wish I knew more/was more comfortable with it for how to make new/fix existing stuff for it.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline roastchicken

• Respected Community Member
  • I write code
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
I second JamminR's suggestion of PHP, it's a pretty neat language. I only have minimal knowledge of it, but it's probably the most used language in terms of server-side scripting. If you ever plan on doing web development it's a useful skill to have.

However you should definitely stick with Python for the time being unless you're infinitely more interested in web technologies, as Python seems to have more applications than PHP.

I've always wanted to learn more languages, as right now I only have a rudimentary grasp of JavaScript in addition to my knowledge of Lua. Learning C++ is one of my goals, but it's such a shift from a lightweight scripting language such as Lua.
Give a man some code and you help him for a day; teach a man to code and you help him for a lifetime.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 12:21:48 PM »
I also agree with the above. PHP is nice and most serverside web applications use it. Python is nice, but it's not as widely used.

PHP is pretty powerful as well, you can do quite a bit with it.

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 09:26:10 AM »
Having used PHP professionally for a few years all I can say is.. PHP is a mess and avoid it if at all possible. :P  The following rant is, well, a rant, but it brings up some very good TECHNICAL reasons why PHP is inconsistent. Also note that it is a bit dated- some concerns have been addressed especially as of PHP 7
https://eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

However, it is nice in that you can get something up and running with fairly minimal effort. PHP is very beginner friendly, and they have built in libraries and functions that cover most of the common needs in web development. Plus, it is widely used in the industry, so as bad as it may be, it's useful to know.

(On topic) We also use Python at work, and while I haven't been working on projects that use it, I've heard good things, especially form Zyklus. :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:50:20 AM by Stickly Man! »
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

An Error Has Occurred!

array_keys(): Argument #1 ($array) must be of type array, null given