Author Topic: sourcebans  (Read 18453 times)

Offline compuwiz

sourcebans
« on: March 04, 2008, 06:49:55 PM »
Make a plugin that will work with SourceBans.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: sourcebans
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 07:38:46 PM »
Though I'm not opposed to someone else doing it and releasing it here on our releases forum, the idea of SourceBans conflicts with a release that Megiddo made for ULib - Uban.
Also, next time, please provide a link to what it is. Though I'm perfectly capable of using Google (and did), I had no idea what it was until I did.
For those of you not in the know... http://www.sourcebans.net

See also : Uban - http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,921.0.html
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline compuwiz

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 04:47:43 AM »
I know about Uban, and I currently use it. I would just like something that will work with other games.

Offline Avien

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 03:15:57 PM »
Well ulx only works for gmod, does it not?

Offline compuwiz

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 06:06:24 PM »
Im talking about a plugin that will like sourcebans and ULX. Sourcebans already has a plugin for other games.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 07:00:53 PM »
Im talking about a plugin that will like sourcebans and ULX. Sourcebans already has a plugin for other games.

Compuwiz, have you tried installing, and then using, sourceban commands from Garry's mod?
I've not taken the time to investigate installation, but if all that is needed is a console command on the server side, I (or any other decent Lua dev) could whip up a ULib compatible portion in a reasonable time.

If you get Sourcebans working from Garry's mod server console, let me know the commands, and the parameters you have to feed to the commands
sm_<command> <arg1> <arg2> etc.

All the ULib or ULX plugins in the world won't help unless you have SourceMod working in the first place.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline compuwiz

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 11:32:15 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to check this forum.

sm_ban - sm_ban <#userid|name> <minutes|0> [reason]

Unban is done from the web interface

If it still uses source mod that will mean that for admins to ban people using ULX they will also have to be added to the Sourcebans admin list, which I was hoping to avoid, but oh well.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 01:59:13 PM »
Ok, one question answered.
Please answer the most important I asked;
Do you have sourcemod bans working with GMod already?
That is, without ULX, from server console (or rcon), can you type "sm_ban <blah>" and it work across all your games?
Is there a sourcemod plug in written for Gmod (or, one written that works with Gmod) already?

If all you need is a ulx command that checks ULib UCL access and runs the server console command for sourcemod, that is easy.
If you need an actual mod written for SourceMod that allows Gmod to work with it, that is difficult.

Offline compuwiz

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 03:58:53 PM »
Sorry, I missed that question.
Yes, I finally got SourceMod & Sourcebans to work in gmod.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 04:24:36 PM »
Once sm_ban'ed, does it automatically remove the player from the Gmod server? Or do you have to then remove/kick them yourself using ulx or console kick?
(Just thinking out features here)

Offline compuwiz

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 04:36:31 PM »
It kicks them.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 08:53:41 PM »
compuwiz, please test the attached file. (Must be logged into the forum to see it)
For now, all it adds is chat (!smban) and console (ulx smban) capability. No menu yet.
This acts exactly like our ulx ban command, and requires at the least 'admin' access by default.
You can use the ulx groupallow "ulx smban" if you want other groups to have it. (Same with individual users 'userallow')
This will not kick the player as our ulx ban does, it only
1) Logs the SMBan if logging is enabled
2) Bans the user using ULib, which gets stored on local server. No kick. This may also get done by SourceMod, but did it for logging reasons and 'just in case'
3) Sends the following to server console.
Code: [Select]
sm_ban target_steamid time reason
Though ULX logs this as <blah> SMBanned <blah>, I thought you might want SourceMod to always contain who actually banned too.
So, Reason will always contain, at the least "admin_name SMBanned target_name" ... if a reason was actually specified, it will have
"admin_name SMBanned target_name (reason here)"

Let me know what errors you get if this doesn't work.
Let me know if this works too.
Let me know what else you think it needs.
I'm probably going to release this somewhere 'officially' once the kinks get ironed out.

Offline compuwiz

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 08:15:25 AM »
I will try this later today, for now I am wondering, does this run the command from the client console or the server console? One advantage of having it run from the server console is that I will not have to add admins to Sourcemod aas well as ULib (you would want the reason to include the person that banned them, but the player name is not needed), or if you have it run from the client console I will have to add the admins to SM as well (admin and player name would not need to be included). You can take a look at my test installation of SB here: http://requiem.dreamhosters.com/bans/index.php?p=banlist

Edit:
It does not work, but I see the problem, you are sending the server console (so it is server, not client, right?) the persons steamid, not their name/user#.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:05:25 PM by compuwiz »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 03:33:40 PM »
It runs from server console. The person trying to run the command has to have Ulib admin or group "ulx smban" access (whether by group or individual user)
Just see if it works before we tweak it.

Offline compuwiz

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »
I think you posted while I was editing my previous post.

It does not work, but I see the problem, you are sending the server console the persons steamid, not their name/user#. If I use sb_ban it works, so it is the addon.
Also, you can remove the name of the player being banned in the reason, that is included in sourcebans as you can see from the web interface, and if you ban using the persons name won't it display the persons name in the ULX ban info page too?

I also noticed that you have a link on the bottom of your site for Gmod servers hosted in the UK, I have my server hosted with a company in the US that has very good servers at a low price (http://mammothgames.com), maybe you could ass that one for servers in the US. (I could give you a referral link to use if you wanted to use that :))
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 06:14:06 PM by compuwiz »