Is the proposal below a good idea?

Good idea, go for it
6 (100%)
No. I don't like it
0 (0%)
Other (specify in reply)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Idea for changing UCL: Ease of use and efficiency vs. power.  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Idea for changing UCL: Ease of use and efficiency vs. power.
« on: April 16, 2008, 03:26:44 PM »
UCL has always been the core component to ULib, and always the part we as developers debate the most.

As it stands, UCL is probably the most powerful (and yet underused) portion of ULib/ULX. You can create authenticated users using names, clan tags, steamids, ip, and the like. Any which way you do it, it supports having an account password and the ability to boot the player if the password is wrong. You can also specify individual access to commands and make the users part of groups that also have their own accesses. However, as far as user authentication (disregarding per-command permissions) we've seen very little use of UCL for anything but steamid authentication with no password.

What would you all think of dropping support for account authentication for by steamid only with no passwords? As always, we love to get input back from you, our users. Let us know what you think!

The advantages and disadvantages (as I see them) are listed here. Feel free to contribute:
Pros:
  • Sticks more to the "classic" GM10 configuration style
  • Easier to understand and change
  • Much better on apps like reserved slots, as it would be able to kick unauthorized users before they spawn in the server
  • No need for hacks while waiting for users to enter authentication password (keeping back information until they do, etc)
  • Easier third party integration (IE, making a forum user DB share with the server user DB)
Cons:
  • No more clan tag authentication. Can be worked around by adding steamids manually though (this really isn't all that hard, right?).
  • No more password authentication. Shared accounts might be a problem.
  • No longer able to reserve names or your clan tag (easy to make another script to do this though).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:28:21 PM by Megiddo »
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Chironex

• Formerly known as Kyzer
Re: Idea for changing UCL: Ease of use and efficiency vs. power.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 03:40:11 PM »
Good idea, i never used passworded accounts anyway (i don't see the point since there is the STEAM ID...).

Go for efficiency :)

Offline blacksythe

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 05:13:52 AM »
Never bothered with the password system personally, however I can see its uses, perhaps integrating zacs adduserid into the system will replace any extra need there may be for a password as the system will be even easier to use, especially for server operators that have given some of their admins user access adduser access.

Offline Avien

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 04:02:37 PM »
Only using steamid is a good idea.  Having to type a password in within a certain amount of time is annoying.  Only reason i see for having a password is for a public computer, but in order to play gmod you need the users steam info anyways.