Author Topic: Problem with new gmod update found... working on a fix  (Read 16392 times)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Problem with new gmod update found... working on a fix
« on: February 01, 2009, 10:49:43 AM »
The problem is this little guy here:
RunConsoleCommand blocked - sent before player spawned (ulib_cl_ulib_loaded)

I assume garry did this to 'fix' those exploits people were using of overloading a server before the player spawned. Unfortunately, that doesn't fix anything, since people can still make a source addon (C++) to accomplish the same thing.

Anyways, researching into ways we can fix this, should have a fix available on svn soon.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 11:50:55 AM by Megiddo »
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline NikolaiResokav

Re: Problem with new gmod update found... working on a fix
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 10:54:18 AM »
I'm assuming that this update is what broke most of ULX on my server, as it seems we can't use any of the ULX menus and several of the chat commands.
Nikolai Resokav

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 11:51:37 AM »
Fixed in ULib rev 22

Offline NikolaiResokav

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 12:47:04 PM »
Great. Have any idea when it will be available?
Nikolai Resokav

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 12:50:13 PM »
It's available right now in SVN. As far as a release, hopefully in a week or two.

Offline Cornflake

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 11:23:36 AM »
The problem is this little guy here:
I assume garry did this to 'fix' those exploits people were using of overloading a server before the player spawned. Unfortunately, that doesn't fix anything, since people can still make a source addon (C++) to accomplish the same thing.

Great to hear you found a fix. Garry does cause all of us headache with these comcommand blocks  ::) Oddly though I get pretty responsible players on my server and typically don't have minges to try this kind of thing...

An interesting thing, though: before this update you released on SVN Megiddo most of my ULX was working (everything except UPS). I'll test it out and see if ULib was the culprit or if UPS might be having problems of it's own.

Offline Ninjadude101

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 06:48:55 AM »
Updated SVNs today, Rev 23.

Still seem to be getting the same issues.

Warning: Unhandled usermessage 'ups_ownerinfo'  -- Every time something is spawned
[ULIB] Error, received invalid lua  -- Every time someone tries to use a ULX menu

Thought I'd post the UPS error in too as there may also be a problem with that :/

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 08:05:38 AM »
Ninjadude101, are you sure your server(s) are sending the new lua cache to the clients? (Or, sure they have the latest lua cache to send?)
Can you find an error similiar to what Megiddo posted above in the client console logs of your connection. They would appear right as your connecting/spawning.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Ninjadude101

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 09:02:34 AM »
Whats this about lua cache? Please explain.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 10:54:06 AM »
Gmod creates a gmod/cache folder, both on client, and server, any time a game is started. (Single, listen, or dedicated)
Within that folder is a 'dua' folder that lua files exist in. The file names of those files are hash.dua
(I don't know what type of hash, probably md5)
Anytime you join a server that has lua files (or other for that matter, but we're talking lua for now), the servers hash.dua file is compared to those on the client.
If a file is on the server that's not on the client, it is downloaded. Garry used hash filenames so there wouldn't be a need to worry about what version of a file the client had. If you join a server running <plugin v1>, even though you might have <plugin v2>, your Gmod will use the version 1 while you are connected to that server.
There are several key things that have to be set just right for servers AND clients for that system to work.
Server has to have created the cache properly. This is done when the server starts up (NOT just a map change)
Server has to have downloads enabled. ("sv_allowdownload") (If you have this off to prevent map downloads, that _will_ break it... enable it and set a 1mb size limit "net_maxfilesize" "1")
Client has to have downloads enabled (I don't remember all the various commands for client, but there are several, filters, etc.)

If your server isn't creating/sending the latest lua code, or your client isn't downloading it, this would still cause the issue.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Ninjadude101

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 01:12:51 AM »
Hmm, odd.

I do have sv_downloads enabled and net_maxfilesize is at 64.
I restarted the server once with _restart in console, then tried again using tcadmin to restart. - Still seems to be broken :(

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 06:12:39 AM »
What problems are you having, Ninja?

Offline Ninjadude101

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 09:26:51 AM »
Warning: Unhandled usermessage 'ups_ownerinfo'  -- Every time something is spawned
[ULIB] Error, received invalid lua  -- Every time someone tries to use a ULX menu

These are the problems.
Amonst these errors obviously no menus are working (!mapsmenu, !clientmenu, !adminmenu, !menu, !bansmenu, !motd etc) and it seems UPS NEVER loads anymore.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 10:33:29 AM »
Hmm, unrelated to the problem most people had with the new update then. Maybe you have a conflicting addon?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 03:09:09 PM »
Ninja, are you as a client getting the error Megiddo orginally posted in this thread... the concommand blocked one, right as your connecting?