ULX

Author Topic: Ulx wont keep my admin status  (Read 11725 times)

Offline Perodua Man

Ulx wont keep my admin status
« on: March 20, 2009, 03:28:55 PM »
On my server i used an older version of Ulx and ULib. then i upgraded to the SVN version how ever. i've edited the users.txt files to make me a super admin but it just resets. it makes me a normal player each time. so i made myself a super admin through my RCON console and after i leave or restart the server the exact same happens. reset to a normal client. and it applies to ALL of my friends / staff

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Ulx wont keep my admin status
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 04:13:23 PM »
Make sure your server has write access to <gmod>\data\ULib
What errors do you get after leaving and coming back?
Depending on how old the version you were using is, you may wish to rename your \data\ULib to test.
Does 'ulx who' show you or anyone as admin?
Which file are you editing? Edit the wrong one, and it can break stuff or get overwritten.
See our FAQ "Having trouble with access?" and follow all the steps there. Come back with the results.

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Perodua Man

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 04:35:32 PM »
older versions never did this to me. and i did an ulx who check. i'm immune but no admin. its strange. should i just remove and reinstall? could i be installing it wrong? any advice atall

Offline scfanatic

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 04:39:23 PM »
im meting the same error with revision 25 svn, as soon as i updated, anyone who i tried to add was added to groups as the group in user.txt then when they left it would revert

also !menu only shows motd button when your a admin/superadmin as well

Offline Perodua Man

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 04:40:51 PM »
that's my exact same error. now my friend however uses the exact same version. and he has no problems ATALL . strange

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 06:07:29 PM »
settings/users.txt is overriding any other settings in rev 25. If you don't want that behavior, set ULib.UCL_LOAD_DEFAULT to false in defines.lua. For most people's purposes, this works out to be the better behavior.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline p1cwh0r3

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 11:29:24 AM »
Excellent, thankyou for the fix.

Offline Frozen

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 02:32:03 PM »
Tried the fix, still doesn't work :/

Offline p1cwh0r3

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 04:25:06 AM »
did you edit the 2 defines.lua files or just 1 of them?

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 06:54:50 AM »
It's not a fix, it's merely a different behavior. If you want to change it, change it under shared.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline igiz

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 09:30:59 AM »
Well I have the same problem too,I have tried everything but everytime I rejoin my server I loose my admin status as well as other admins so I have to re-add them everytime they rejoin.This is quite annoying,is there any other way to fix this?

Offline tas

• NG Clan Administrator
    • Nocturnal Gaming
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 06:38:05 PM »
I have the same problem. I asked Megiddo about it. I even tried the fix: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=716917 but then I get a different class tables error. When I set ULib.UCL_LOAD_DEFAULT to false everything works, except then everyone's binds don't work. Very strange. I've been trying since Monday. If I come up with anything you'll be the first to know.
Malum consilium quod mutari non potest.

Someone once said "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgment."
That's rhetorical nonsense. Who said that?
You did, ten years from now
--Star Trek, First Contact

Offline tas

• NG Clan Administrator
    • Nocturnal Gaming
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 11:08:11 PM »
Well, I fixed it by copying all my files over from my other server. Not sure what that accomplished. I'll look into it more tomorrow.

Someone once said "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgment."

Offline freefry

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 03:19:59 AM »
This is one odd bug(as a bug it must be).

I was trying to help Perodua Man with his server when he told me he was having issues with it.

The weird thing was that when we added me as admin, my access level stayed over reconnects and mapchanges, and everything worked just fine.
But when we added him(Perodua Man) as superadmin, his admin level was lost every time we changed map/he reconnected, and we tried everything, including removing the data\ulib\users.txt file, setting the users.txt up manually, completely redownloading ulx and ulib, removing all other addons, and lua scripts, removing everything in the data dir, and so on.

Nothing would fix it, oddly enough.

Now a few weeks later, I'm experiencing the same problems on my server

I've have been running it with ulx svn since forever, and so I have a set of admins(and myself as superadmin), but since some svn update, no players I add(ingame or manually through file) keep their admin status after reconnect, or mapchanges.

Though all older admins I have keeps their status(users.txt file corruption perhaps?).

I've also tested this, by joining the server with another account of mine, then running rcon ulx adduser freefry admin 0, which adds me as an admin without immunity just fine(I can use all admin features for that access level), BUT when I reconnect, my access is lost, and I'm reverted back to a normal user. (same if the server is restarted/changing map).

Now, I've noticed one... anomally should we call it, and it resides within the data\ulib\users.txt file, which I have attached.
The anomally is with users with 'special' characters in their names, as for example with my steam name, it contains a " character, and ulib/ulx seems to readd my entry, forever, with alot of \\ infront of the " character.

Offline tas

• NG Clan Administrator
    • Nocturnal Gaming
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 07:35:12 AM »
Read my post here: http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,3969.0.html

And see what that does. I was having the same problem a few days ago and I sorted it out. I had the " and // problem as well. It fixed that. Be sure to delete the ulib folder in data when the server is off.