ULX

Author Topic: "Invalid Group" Even Though It's Valid  (Read 12723 times)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: "Invalid Group" Even Though It's Valid
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 03:23:31 PM »
I'm unable to replicate the error, even with "ulx" not being part of any groups allow list..must be coded by default to be allowed.
I can imagine why ULib is seeing you as superadmin... you have yourself as superadmin in settings/users.txt; but I don't think that should affect ULib seeing you as owner.. it doesn't when I join my dev server, and I have myself in the same way.

Are you up to date with the latest ULib svn also? (rev 93 as of this post)
I see you are for ULX.
I'm at a loss, unless there's some type of conflicting addon/code, as to why you're getting the error at this time.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline TweaK

• Garry's Mod Engineers
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 06:16:21 PM »
hmm... well i'll have to try it without addons and see if it still happens. i'll post back here later tonight

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 08:55:22 PM »
Tweak, though you may have tried it already, try moving/backing up all ULib data files (users.txt, groups.txt, misc_registered.txt). I know you stated you let groups.txt rebuild, but for testing try the other two also.
I was working with a clean file, I only have myself as superadmin in settings/users.txt, and it worked fine after changing myself to owner.
You're not running another admin mod are you? Though most times we see no big issue, if you are, try removing it first.
Also, and this is one I've mentioned to Megiddo... ULib now executes some files locally, even when joining a non-ULib server
We wanted to allow client side only scripts. However, even when I joined a non-ULib/ULX server once, I saw ULX files try to run. If you have ULib and ULX installed on your local client, make sure it's the same version as the server too.

I know it's a pain, but try each of the above one at a time (first ULib/ULX local update (or remove), then remove admin mod if you have more than one, then rebuild of all files, then remove all mods)
Any clue you can lead to may help us find improvement (or, worst case, know what to look for in correcting someone elses error) :)
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline TweaK

• Garry's Mod Engineers
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 08:43:35 PM »
Alright, after tons of server restarts (my server probably hates me by now) I have narrowed it down to Spacetech's Simple Prop Protection... I don't have ulx or ulib installed locally, only on the server...and ULX is the only admin mod i'm running on the server.

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=401784

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 06:10:13 PM »
So, if you remove SPP from your server (and local client), then restart both... ULX allows you to addgroup owner superadmin ... adduser tweak owner ... ?
How odd.
Any ULib or SPP errors at startup?

Also, tried UPS? Then again, not sure it's compatible with current ULib SVN.

Offline TweaK

• Garry's Mod Engineers
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 10:19:55 PM »
yeah and running with just ulx, ulib, and spp will generate the error. i tried ups a while back but i think i was having problems with regular users being unable to touch props they spawned

Offline TweaK

• Garry's Mod Engineers
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 03:47:04 PM »
ok, couple things. ups does the same thing as well as a bunch of unhandled usermessages, so it seems the only way i can use my owner group is to run without prop protection..... also, neither votekick nor voteban work. you can call the vote and pass it but it won't actually kick or ban the user.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 04:41:13 PM »
Since 99% of other scripts out there expect 'superadmin' to be the highest possible access level (including Garry's default group access commands), why not just make superadmin the highest level group?
Yes, technically, I'm curious as to why/what SPP is breaking within ULX, but, still...why re-invent the wheel.
Make superadmin the highest, make some other group lower, have it inherit admin rights plus groupallow any extra rights from the superadmin group you want it to have (if not all)

Offline TweaK

• Garry's Mod Engineers
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 12:34:14 PM »
well that works i never really thought of doing that before lol...have you looked into the votekick/voteban thing?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 03:17:51 PM »
have you looked into the votekick/voteban thing?

No need.
SVN ulx's cfg/server.ini command and convars haven't been converted to new system yet.
Until they are, vote<command> will most likely not work.
It's the same with Gimp and votemap I'd bet.

Offline lavacano201014

• Archbishop of Cristina Scabbia worship
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 03:33:20 PM »
I had forgotten about this thread..

As stated in the OP, ULX complains about me being in an invalid group, yet the group is perfectly defined. This didn't happen until the new command system update, did the format of the file change?
Circle reasoning works because circle reasoning works because...

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 06:22:05 PM »
did the format of the file change?

Groups.txt definitely changed with the later SVN ULX/ULib versions that included new command system.
Automatic conversion was written in by megiddo. I have one or two '<forget_group_backup_name>0#.txt', and a converted file named groups.txt within my gmod/data/ULib folder.
Did you ever get a "ulx debuginfo" dump for us from server console?

Also, seems Assmod versions greater than 2.5 cause a similar issue.
http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,4362.0.html
Using Assmod also?

Offline lavacano201014

• Archbishop of Cristina Scabbia worship
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 08:53:39 PM »
No, I'm not using ASSMod, I hated it when I had to use it during the "Time Of The Broken ULX" (when all the usermessages were blocked and you didn't fix them yet).

And if the format changed, I'm pretty sure that's what's caused my particular issue. Because I didn't know the file changed, I didn't see anything weird with my files (like backups). I'll move my copy to my PC, let ULX generate a new one, and do everything from there.
Circle reasoning works because circle reasoning works because...