ULX

Author Topic: Adding more groups to ULX groups.txt  (Read 17101 times)

Offline LiveTrash

Adding more groups to ULX groups.txt
« on: October 14, 2009, 08:14:49 PM »
I currently use an old version of ULX, and wanted to update. When I did, I just transferred over my existing groups.txt file, UTeam, etc. When I restarted the server and joined, I was not admin, no one was admin, and when I tried to add myself to admin, it didn't work. I deleted the groups.txt file I transferred over, allowed the server to create a new one, and ULX then worked fine. I reviewed the new groups.txt file and my old one, and they looked to be exactly the same, just with more groups added. I have absolutely no problem adding new groups to ULX with this current version I am using now. However, with the new version (The most recent one out now), it does not work at all. Is there a new special way that groups need to be added or something?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Adding more groups to ULX groups.txt
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 08:41:35 PM »
You did update both ULib and ULX to SVN, right?
Both have been rewritten.

Groups.txt should have been converted for you if you copied the old back while server was shut down.
If you had server running while editing files..that could be the problem too.
(This often seems to be a big problem...all, never edit server files while server is running.)
If not converted properly, it may mean you're old one had a formatting issue, or non-standard something unknown that the conversion didn't like.
When letting groups.txt rebuild, deleting misc_registered.txt also to let it rebuild is usually recommended.

When you say 'doesn't work at all'... whats not working?
What steps are you taking?
If ULX isn't seeing you as admin, it's definitely not going to work trying to adduser or group from game console.
You'd have to use standard steps, rcon or server console to add yourself as superadmin first.
What error shows in server console when ULX/ULib start?
What error when you try to add a user from server console?

Our FAQs regarding access troubles still hold true for the new code.
See the FAQ area.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline LiveTrash

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 08:44:12 AM »
I've upgraded and groups file is working fine now. However, I would like to edit the commands like I did in my previous version. What I did was change it so when, for example, someone said !slay USER, the !slay USER would not appear. It would just show a confirmation. I am trying to look for the commands and cannot seem to find them. Can you tell me which folder the commands are in? (slay, goto, cloak, strip, etc etc)

Offline LiveTrash

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 08:52:58 AM »
Forget it, I've decided to just stick with my old version, this version is too complicated and unstable...

Offline Brandon

• Minge tested, Brandon approved.
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 02:18:47 PM »
You're giving up too easily. Part of SVN is so these fine gentlemen can help you out, and also find bugs in their software for IMPROVEMENT purposes.

i'm sure if you were patient they would be more than happy to help you out.
Professionals have standards:
-Be polite.
-Be efficient.
-Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
(yeah its off tf2 so what)

Offline LiveTrash

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 12:26:10 PM »
I don't have time to wait for bugs to be fixed. I want a version that works, and right now, the version I have works perfectly.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 02:57:24 PM »
We understand and appreciate your need for working release.
It still would have been nice to know what bugs you were getting while you were getting them.
I peronally haven't heard anyone mention problems with ulx addgroup or adduser.
As for trying to copy over the old groups.txt, though at first glance they're not apparent, there are many changes.

If any SVN user has error messages when using these commands, please let us know.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline dracotonisamond

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 01:20:26 PM »
i appear to be having the same issue as of now with ulib svn revision(94) and ulx svn revision(79).  i replaced the non svn versions of ulx and ulib with the svn version and booted up the server,  and my user groups didnt work.  i am also having an issue with the ulx adduser command.  it says Invalid Command Entered.  If you need help, please type "ulx help" in your console.  same thing happens with the ulx addgroup.  although all the other commands sorta work(ulx slap, slay, etc...),  they dont echo the command run.  any help would be nice.

EDIT:  it appears theres more errors than i thought

it kinda exploded i think.
hopefully it is just something im doing wrong.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 01:37:03 PM by dracotonisamond »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 01:36:31 PM »
How did you "replace"?
Deleting /addons/ULib and /addons/ULX, then using SVN?
Or did you simply use a right click, and a checkout type method on the two folders with files already in them.

Please provide the following information;
Are you using any other admin type addon?
A copy/paste or attached file log of your server console at startup.
View your /data/ULib folder, how many groups<possible_other_characters>.txt files do you have?
Any errors on server console when you run commands other than "command not known"?

Attach the following three files here using the "additional options" feature
1) From server console, run "ulx debuginfo" while you are connected...this will create a file in your data/ulx folder.
2) Your /data/ULib/groups.txt
3) Your /data/ULib/users.txt
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 01:39:02 PM by JamminR »

Offline dracotonisamond

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 01:51:18 PM »
thank you jamminR for replying so quickly.
ok for your first question i cut/pasted the ulib/ulx folders to the desktop just in case if this version didnt work.

i am using no other admin mod
other than these ulx modules:  sui_scoreboard modified v4 w/no utime, unolimited, and ups
my groups are superadmin, eliteadmin, highadmin, admin, respecteduser, skilleduser, knownuser, user, operator
and it would appear that ulx debuginfo pops the same not known error as the adduser command.

EDIT:and the requested files have been removed
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:59:40 AM by dracotonisamond »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 05:33:32 PM »
I posted after your screenshot. In the future please use the copy/paste feature for console entry, or learn how to turn on the server console log file. You can actually select more text using copy/paste than a screenshot will show. (Have to scroll up, select text and drag down to point you want)

From what little I can see of ULib loading in the screenshot, ULib ucl.lua not loading is the primary culprit. Can you copy paste all of the ULib loading portion from your server startup?

Also, groups.txt may be off. THe upgrade.lua may not have loaded, but it's difficult to tell from your screenshot.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 05:54:30 PM »
UPDATE
Through additional review of your groups.txt to my SVN new updated groups.txt .. your inherit from area of each group is different (and you have a none group)
Again, this means your file didn't get upgraded by the update.lua script, or, you pasted back over the data/ULib/groups.txt after the new one was created.
It may also mean the update script isn't running before the attempted loads of ucl.lua

Offline dracotonisamond

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 10:56:17 AM »
well im going back to the download version now aswell.  i got it working after just deleting my existing users and groups.  but all console commands are broken, only chat commands work.  most notably the unban command is nonfunctional(im perma'd till i fix ulx).  im sorry but im going to have to agree with the OP.  id rather wait untill its stable to use it.