Author Topic: UNote  (Read 5920 times)

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
UNote
« on: July 21, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
So I'm finally getting my ideas down for this project idea I've had for a while. It'll probably be called UNote!

UNote will have the following properties:
  • Ability to send announcements to other admins in the server (It will show a notification message to admins until they have opened the message)
  • Ability to add a note about a player. (ie: I could add a note for Megiddo that says "This player hasn't done anything kick/ban-worthy, but he keeps mauling me!")
  • Support for giving players warnings.
  • View log-style events of when kicks/bans/warnings were given
  • Categorized views will show only events/messages of a certain type.
  • A filter with results counter so you can easily count how many times xx has occured in the current categorized view, or to view all events relating to a player/admin.
  • Quick access to connected players to view any important notes regarding them.
  • (Optional) When a player joins, notify admins on how many kicks/bans/warnings/player notes they have received!
  • SQL support-- will probably support both MySQL and SQLLite.
  • Along with SQL support, this will (hopefully) be able to update real-time across multiple servers.
  • Integrated within XGUI! :D (of course)

MSPaint example layout screenshot!

So I think this will be a tough project, but should be very useful to all server administrators. It's still in the very planning stages, so now is the time to let me know if you guys have any suggestions for features I could add, or layout changes I should make. I'm still trying to figure out the best way in which you can pull up a steamID/player name and view their overall statistics (kicks/bans/warnings/notes), even when offline.

Each "Note" would consist of the following data: Date, Type, PlayerID, AdminID, Subject, Body

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:30:15 PM by Stickly Man! »
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: UNote
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:04:10 PM »
Aww Megiddo!!! Why would you kick me!

I'm not too l33t!

maybe... I guess.

On track though... this is an awesome idea! I'm excited to see where you take this.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 02:22:15 PM »
Awesome.
Sounds oddly familiar. :D
(Glad it may actually get done)

Edit - Oh yeah, it was even added to a Stickly ToDo list at one time
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:27:43 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 02:48:08 PM »
As discussed over MSN, it looks good Stickly. :)

I thought I should take a moment to explain here why I'm trying to convince Stickly to make UNote operate over both SQLite and MySQL.
  • They're both very similar, only a very light layer of abstraction will be needed to work on both.
  • SQLite is ideal for simpler admins and servers, since it can run local with no additional setup, but still offers a good speed advantage for this large amount of data over flat-files.
  • MySQL is ideal for multi-server setups and our more advanced users who want to be able to easily hook up web scripts to the database.

Speaking of which Stickly, you'll probably want to be able to identify which server a message came from.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
    • XGUI
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 05:39:46 PM »
Yup, I knew I got the original idea from somewhere.. Krooks was telling me about it when I was in his server, and he probably got that from your thread, so kudos to JamminR :P

So I'll probably work on the interface and whatnot as soon as I've finished with a few other smaller things on my TODO. I've been quite lazy this summer after we got XGUI released, so it'll be good to get back into the swing of things!

So, the main interface I've shown so far keeps logs of notes and events, and even though you can count the number of warnings by searching and filters, I would rather have logs be removeable but not affect a player's statistics. So I'll probably keep track of various player statistics like # of times kicked, banned, warned, etc., # of active warns, notes by admins, etc. I was also thinking of maybe keeping track of name changes among players, maybe even logging when their name changes? I dunno, what else do you guys think would be useful?

Offline krooks

• I don't like video games.
    • Diamond Krooks
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 11:43:38 AM »
I've been hoping for a simple note system, and this idea is roughly 100x better than what I had been imagining. --No comment on additions--  ;D
My TTT server. Join the fun!

Offline ben1066

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 09:37:12 AM »
If you wanted to make it more advanced, prehaps a system so that people can see if people are banned on other servers running ULX?
EDIT: Sorry for bump but the thread still seems relevant.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 02:39:43 PM »
see if people are banned on other servers running ULX?
Seems beyond what this is for. UBan would basically cover that, along with the various php pages for reading UBan databases that various people have released here. Wouldn't be overly difficult to include functionality once the SQL base was put in though.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:41:45 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
    • XGUI
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Depending on how the backend gets written, cross-server stuff could be very easy or difficult to implement. This could turn into a really large awesome project that will probably take a while, or we can keep it more simple and it has a better chance of actually getting finished lol

I did just start an insane semester of school, so, all progress on this is purely conceptual, and ideas are always welcome  :)

Offline Wearing8

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 07:19:09 PM »
Would you need a MySQL Or any type of SQL for this to work?

Offline Aaron113

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »
"SQL Support"

I assume that means that it will only support the use of MySQL but will not require it.

Offline strategos

• I wanna be the guy
    • Community
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 11:08:57 PM »
This sounds awesome. Must get it when its released.