ULX

Author Topic: Ulx broken after update, SuperAdmin+ steam auth ticket drops error 6  (Read 20758 times)

Offline Ludicium

Re: Ulx broken after update, SuperAdmin+ steam auth ticket drops error 6
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 02:43:26 PM »
same here...

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 04:46:33 PM »
Hmm.
http://garrysmod.com/
Not sure it's something even we can fix folks. (Not saying we won't try)
Even Garry had to reach out to Valve for his fixes..seems he went new engine.

Sounds like something acts like a VAC system, where, if you use lua to change group access, the server sees it as a 'hack' and kicks you off.

Just my theory.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline TweaK

• Garry's Mod Engineers
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 11:19:02 PM »
Mine's a debian vps

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 06:53:56 AM »
If ULX is causing this issue, it would be due to a bug that garry introduced into the API. Hopefully Garry will find it and fix it quickly. If this problem still exists this weekend, I'll look into it further.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 08:55:14 AM »
I'm going to do some digging around when I get off of work today.

We haven't really seen any common elements that cause the crash based on OS, gamemodes, or other addons-- perhaps it's caused by some specific ULX permission?

The weird part is that I can connect to one of my servers but not the other. The one where I CAN connect my rank is "root_user" and on the other one, I'm set as "owner."

Bungletrpg, if you don't mind, can you send us your groups.txt files for both servers? (PM or email at teamulysses@ulyssesmod.net) We can take a look at what each rank has and see if that may be an issue.

All, If you're having this problem, does it still occur if you backup then remove the ulx/ulib related data files (and just for good measure the banned_users.cfg file) and run the server off of the default ULX configuration with no bans?

Yet even if this is the cause, why did it work on my server but not others? .. Perhaps I just fail at testing thoroughly :P
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline Wully616

• WullysGamers
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 09:19:58 AM »
On my server, I have the admin and superadmin rank, if anyone who has these ranks joins they get the steam auth ticket drop error and their game crashes.

I've tried making a rank called "supermod" and have it inherit superadmin and add myself to that, which worked. Garrysmod wouldn't detect me as an admin for simple prop protection, but all the ulx commands would work.

However, when I did the same thing for the admin rank, created a rank called "mod" and have it inherit admin, I added some of my admins to that but they still crashed.
[/url]

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
    • XGUI
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 09:55:46 AM »
Hmm.. interesting. I can't really do anything about this till I get off of work, and Megiddo's scrambling to get his important schoolwork done so he can look into it also, but if you guys can keep posting any useful information about this that you can, we greatly appreciate it. :)

Offline Drakehawke

• Serious Roleplaying Hell
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 10:08:12 AM »
Managed to narrow it down, deleting just bans.txt from data/ULib seemed to fix it for me, will try and investigate further now.

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
    • XGUI
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 10:14:23 AM »
Thanks Drakehawke, that could very well be a possibility since Garry did just change the ban system to support cheaters.cfg. This post on facepunch is also relevant to the possibility of it being related to bans.

Offline Drakehawke

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 10:16:53 AM »
Narrowed down even further, if you have access to "xgui_managebans" and bans.txt exists on the server it occurs. Adding user specific access to this whilst in-game causes my GMod to silently crash. Being in any group with access to this crashes on join.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:20:16 AM by Drakehawke »

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
    • XGUI
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 10:20:20 AM »
Hmm, It probably happens when the user requests a TON of ban data from the server upon joining. Does it work fine if you join the server, then give the group access to xgui_managebans? (On giving the group access, XGUI client should automatically request for the ban data if it now has access)

Also, how many bans do you currently have? A ton like I'm assuming here?

Offline Drakehawke

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 10:42:12 AM »
Joining then giving group access does crash too, yes.

I have about 400 bans, I removed them all and added a few new ones and it worked fine.

May or may not be related, but when I was originally investigating the source of this (before I knew it was ULX), due to the extra delay in crashing when joining a busy server compared to an empty one, I did suspect networking was the cause. I made a quick script to log calls to umsg.Start, writing the name of the usermessage to a text file if the target had my SteamID. I noticed that there was a lot of UL* messages (from ULibs custom datastream I think), but there was always a "ULStart" usermessage sent with nothing after it (no ULPacket or ULEnd following), right before the crash.

Edit: I'm sure there's a good reason for this, but why exactly do you send all details of all server bans to people with access to the xgui bans menu when they join? Surely it would make more sense to send the information when they request it - i.e. when they open the bans menu?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:02:09 AM by Drakehawke »

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 10:59:05 AM »
ULStart by itself wouldn't cause a crash since it's just setting Lua variables. Perhaps the client is just being overwhelmed with user messages, though...

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
    • XGUI
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 11:43:47 AM »
Edit: I'm sure there's a good reason for this, but why exactly do you send all details of all server bans to people with access to the xgui bans menu when they join? Surely it would make more sense to send the information when they request it - i.e. when they open the bans menu?

I think there is a slight but noticeable lag in most cases when you receive the bandata. When you get the data on join it tends to be less noticeable since everything else is loading, and most people expect there to be some lag when they first get into a server. I have tested XGUI with a couple thousand bans before, but they didn't contain any extraneous information (just the SteamID and unban "0"), so this partly an issue that I haven't done proper testing of. (When I originally designed the ban menu I didn't really think about servers having so many bans-- I don't run a server, if you can't tell. :P)

Also the banmenu is one of the things I haven't optimized extensively yet. I do have plans to change the ban menu to only display a "page" of bans at a time (25 or so), then add cool features like searching/filtering, but I haven't gotten around to it.

I'll probably make the new ban menu a priority (Well, that and getting XGUI working for Gmod13), but for filtering my idea was to allow clients to filter any fields on ban information so they can pinpoint bans they're looking for. I have two options for doing this:
1) Send all of the ban information once to the clients that have access to it, but at a slower, more reliable rate, then have all of the filter processing done client-side.
2) Have the clients send filter data to the server, the server will then process the filter and send the results back to the client.

Option 1 or 2 is better depending on how often the ban menu and the filtering tools will be used-- Theoretically, on a server with 500 bans and a filter that returns 25 results per page, if a filter is performed more than 20 times per admin per mapchange/rejoin (that includes going to additional pages of results), it will be better for the server to send all of the ban data once and then not have to do any extraneous processing. If it's performed less often than that, then it would certainly be better to have the server process the filters and send only the current page of results that the client needs.

(Actually, having typed that up and looked at it, to me it seems like the server processing of filters would be the better option, even with the rare exception that an admin goes ban-filter happy)

Either way, I believe I can fix the current problem temporarily by slowing down the chunks of bandata sent (or by changing the size of each chunk). Yes, I could send brief information about all of the bans to start with, then send the extra ban information on request when the user wants to see more details, but I have to see how everything is going to play out. And do more testing!

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 08:42:40 PM »
We think we know the cause of the problem and are working on a fix now. :)

Major thanks to Drakehawke for narrowing the problem down as much as he did.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:44:20 PM by Megiddo »