Author Topic: ULX and upper-cased group names  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
ULX and upper-cased group names
« on: July 23, 2014, 12:33:55 AM »
I just pushed a commit today that fixes some issues with having upper-cased group names, which I thought we didn't support, but.. we changed it for a reason I can't seem to remember right now. :P

This change affects the targeting system (group names are now case-sensitive) and access tags (no longer forced to be fully lower-cased). I'm pretty sure there should be no side effects, but, please test these systems for me and report any new problems you come across.

Thanks! :)
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: ULX and upper-cased group names
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 12:12:22 AM »
To my knowledge, we never did support non-lower case groups.
I just thought I'd been supporting a XGUI bug all this time that allowed mixed case entry.
:)

I'm of the opinion that our code should still force lower case groups when storing them.
I only imagine the future support horrors where hosts trying to add themselves to the same group, but using
SuperAdmin
Superadmin
SUPERADMIN
and then coming here and asking why they get "group doesn't exist".

Imagine that, but for every other time random admin with adduser access tries to add someone on a server.

Food for thought.
Barely edible perhaps, but food.

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
Re: ULX and upper-cased group names
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:45:36 AM »
I did have a chat with Megiddo about this earlier. :) I can't remember when, but we changed ULX to "support" groups with upper-case characters due to hearing many users complain about it (their own configuration, or caused by other gamemodes/admin mods). The changes I just made finished off a few side effects that slipped past Megiddo when making the change initially. We still recommend using lower-case group names, however, so keep that in mind if someone has a complaint. :P
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6