Author Topic: IP Addresses  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Gengar

IP Addresses
« on: March 19, 2015, 06:40:12 PM »
Hello.  I'm not certain as to whether or not this is a bug, or if I'm just trying to get help, but there seems to be something missing in the most recent ULX update.  I don't know if this was intentional on the ULX team's part, or if the most recent GMOD update affected how the mod works. 

Issue/Help:  When using data/ulx_logs/day.txt, and you see a player connect to the server, their IP address is not displayed at all.  I checked a log which was a day prior to the GMOD+ULX update and the IP addresses of the clients were displayed upon joining the server.  This means the ULX team did this intentionally, or the way the IP addresses are collected and written is different as regular server logs do display IP addresses.  Does anyone have a clue as to what I could do to fix this?  I'd read the entire code and see if it has anything to do with that but that's just way too much.   :P
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:42:28 PM by Gengar »

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: IP Addresses
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:46:48 PM »
We removed IPs due to a Source engine exploit. One could retrieve ULX logs using the Source engine exploit, and then impersonate an admin by knowing their IP address.

Including IP addresses again would not be recommended.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Gengar

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 06:49:39 PM »
Thanks.  :)  I see.  By any chance do you know if this code for retrieving the IP was complex or not?  If not, would you be able to tell me what file I could restore from older versions. so I could use this feature again?  It's very useful for telling when people are using alternate accounts to avoid bans/troll.  Using regular logs is buggy and doesn't work exactly how it should.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 08:03:17 PM »
It was not complex, but do you really want us to tell you to 1) edit/restore our original code, thereby breaking other fixes we've likely done - and, 2) allow exploiters an extra way to exploit your server?
If you're looking for alternate accounts, I instead suggest looking here
http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,7021.0.html

It also links to code that might kick shared accounts when the primary is kicked. I never looked at the orginal facepunch mentioned link though to know fully what it does.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming