Author Topic: Ulx> Messagemode  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Shahiko

Ulx> Messagemode
« on: July 26, 2015, 10:06:24 AM »
Hello everyone as you can tell yes I am new to the forums but I am no coder / Script-er so I have been searching for 1 specific ulx command that well here is how it works

as you all know ulx console commands are silent as to where typing !noclip name shows

frogger: !noclip frogger

so anyway my idea was to create a message mode so how it would work is using the chat functions no we all know bind y = messagemode and bind u is messagemode2  so what if we used that as a basis so if we made either messagemode3 instead of say or say_team it'd say ulx so now we could use that message mode in chat and just type noclip name because the ulx part is already there that's the module im searching for :)

Offline Tomzen

• A new lua adventurer
    • Thirdage Gaming
Re: Ulx> Messagemode
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 06:54:19 PM »
So you basically want a new message mode which is used for running ulx commands? instead of general chat?
Finished:
Impersonate
<==> FakePromote/Demote <==> RandomMap <==> ForceMic <==> Search <==> PlayMenu <==
WIP:
ServerMode <==

Offline Zmaster

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 07:03:37 PM »
I'm not sure that's worth it, going through the trouble of adding another message mode just so you don't have to type an exclamation mark before noclip *name*

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 08:01:46 PM »
It's also expensive - time/efficiency wise.
Currently, most mods that look for chat commands, including ULX, look for JUST one character in the very first part of the string.
If not there, continue/do nothing.  No table checking needed for majority of what all the players say.
Once you start trying to monitor EVERY chat to look for those keywords, on a busy/chatty server, you're going to see lag after each person says something while it loops through the table on the first word.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Shahiko

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 08:17:29 PM »
I see your point with the trouble i just thought of this idea because i remember in Team fortress classic you were able to do binds like bind y messagemode admin_"

then when i typed anything it read as admin_ then whatever i typed after i thought it was pretty neat :) thats where i came about this idea