Author Topic: Help installing Mysqloo local server  (Read 3514 times)

Offline Chiller252

• On a Journey to Combine Technology and Design
    • Personal Website
Help installing Mysqloo local server
« on: June 19, 2016, 02:06:07 PM »
So at the moment, I'm running 4 servers locally with different gamemodes. they all have Ulx and Ulib installed and working. I have the ranks synced in a ghetto style using Windows Hard Links so that all 4 servers are reading/writing to the same users.txt. I understand this is not a good way to achieve this. I need help understanding how to install and run mysqloo.

I found this thread on FacePunch: https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1515853

I asked this in an unrelated thread while trying to sync Ulx ranks with Proboards (Forums):

----------

I'm sorry, I'm frustrated at myself because I don't understand any of the documentation or examples. I see there's some lua code, but I can't read lua, let alone write it. I'm just looking for like a 10 step by step list of instructions on how to setup Mysqloo on a local gmod server using MySQL. Mysqloo for dummies, as it were. I don't mean to appear as a noob while trying to figure this out, but I need help understanding.

I have the files in the correct directories, but can you provide me with like a step by step list of instructions on how to make it work from there? If you are not interested in doing this, I understand. There might also be instructions like this that already exist, but with my research I can't find them. Perhaps you can point me towards some resources that can help me.

I don't want to continue using Hard Links to sync ranks between my servers and I would love to be able to sync them with ProBoards. I just don't understand.

Is there a .sql file that initializes the tables? Are there some files I'm missing? The FacePunch thread only has commands and stuff. I don't know what I'm missing.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: Help installing Mysqloo local server
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 05:03:39 PM »
The thread you found is just a module that lets garrysmod connect to a MySQL database.
If you want to sync your users using MySQL, that's something totally different.

There are quite a few threads around here on how to do it and some examples of code.

Doing MySQL syncing in garrysmod is a pretty advanced thing to do, and shouldn't be tried by someone who can't even read lua.

You would be best served finding someone who is willing to do it for you.

Offline Chiller252

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 05:40:35 PM »
The thread you found is just a module that lets garrysmod connect to a MySQL database.
If you want to sync your users using MySQL, that's something totally different.

There are quite a few threads around here on how to do it and some examples of code.

Doing MySQL syncing in garrysmod is a pretty advanced thing to do, and shouldn't be tried by someone who can't even read lua.

You would be best served finding someone who is willing to do it for you.

Thank you.

I just decided to spend a little more time researching because I'm really passionate about this and I decided to use the keywords: "sync ulx ranks mysql site:http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/" and I found your post from april. http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,8377.0.html

You could have just sent me a link to that, but I found it.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 05:47:49 PM »
We typically don't spoon feed people, plus, there are a few other options out there besides the one I wrote. ;)

Not to mention, if you really can't even read lua, you still might want to find someone who can help you set this up.
It's not as simple as drag and drop.

Offline Chiller252

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 05:55:29 PM »
I understand, and thank you. When I said I can't read lua, I really meant that I couldn't understand about 50% of what's going on. Mainly because as, I've heard, lua is kind of backwards. I can edit strings and configs all day, but when it comes to some of the logic (especially from other users) I can't do much with it.

I don't know why I couldn't find your post until I forced google to only show results from here. Perhaps Ulysses could use some SEO

Offline Chiller252

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 06:03:49 PM »
I would just like to say that with my testing so far, it's working flawlessly. And it didn't take long to migrate about 3000 entries using ulib_loadlegacy.

What an emotional rollercoaster.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 07:37:42 PM »
Perhaps with the knowledge and experience you've gained, you could write a tutorial in the Off-Topic or Developers corner section of the forum for all the steps and related modules you used/took/learned from.
Though your particular experience may be niche towards certain parts (ProBoards), I wouldn't be surprised to learn that, once the proper tables were known, any instructions might easily be modified from board to board (or if not a BBS, then just a plain DB intended for Gmod)

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 10:01:04 PM »
I'm thrilled that you got it working. I hope that module still works for you. It's been some time since it was written, and I'm not sure what has changed in ULib, but i've heard from others that it works still.

Edit: JamminR, he didn't get the ProBoards thing working, he got the MySQL users working. He mentioned the ProBoards because at first he was trying to use that as a way to do cross-server authentication, but failing that, he changed over to the MySQL user authentication.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:05:57 PM by MrPresident »