ULX

Author Topic: Ulx demo recorder.  (Read 2694 times)

Offline EmperorOfTheMankind

Ulx demo recorder.
« on: September 29, 2016, 06:03:03 AM »
Ulx demo recorder

There is no way I can always stay with my server. And sometimes it happens that arguments appear between players. One says guilty, other says not. And well there are no witnesses either so I can't judge by their stories. Logs are not showing the truth. I wish I had a demo recording tool, so I could record what happens on the server while I'm out. In other words I wish i had an "ultimate log maker witness".

To be honest I know how demo works. A person records it from clientside. So I have an idea of spawning a bot that would count as a player and record the demo file which gets saved in server folder. Please help.  ???
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 06:10:20 AM by EmperorOfTheMankind »

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: Ulx demo recorder.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 03:24:51 PM »
That wouldn't work, because like you said demos record CLIENTSIDE.
A bot is just a simulated client, they don't actually render anything clientside.

I actually did this for a while on my server with a spare system though. Created a new gmod account and had it join my server. I could then watch its steam broadcast any time I wanted. You'd need a dedicated account/system to do this from though. One that was at least good enough to run garrysmod (I.E. not a server system).

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 09:24:18 AM »
That's what I have been doing for a while. I don't have another system to run the game and I don't really want to buy second gmod. I wish I could find the way to do it without that. Any other ideas how I can do it?

I'm quite experienced in demo recording trash cause I have been trying to find the most sadistic ways to get it to work.  ;D I'm asking help here because sometimes the most original idea is the most obvious one. I just can't get to it.  :'(

Offline roastchicken

• Respected Community Member
  • I write code
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 02:46:23 PM »
I'm sorry to say, but I think your only option is buying another copy of Garry's Mod like MrPresident suggested.
Give a man some code and you help him for a day; teach a man to code and you help him for a lifetime.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 03:43:01 PM »
It takes some time and determination, but for majority of instances, when full logging is turned on, you can pretty much tell what happened in ULX and or server logs.
Or at worst, determine who was the worst of two aggressors and punish both, one more than the other.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 08:47:32 AM »
JamminR,
well, to be honest, this is not what really bothers me. Logging is not the thing. The main one is demos which I wish I could somehow make not from my character, cause the playermodel vanishes in replays. And sometimes I just wish I could record a game of pvp or pve, where I can see myself fighting against the foes from perspective. Unfortunately, I guess, this is still not the place where I can find help for solving my "alreadytwoyears" problem. :-[
If only the gmod devs could fix the sourcetv.