Author Topic: my lua script won't work  (Read 476 times)

Offline Patrick Palson

• View Profile
my lua script won't work
« on: December 21, 2016, 06:15:00 PM »
Code: Lua
  1. --This is where your immunity is.
  2. --Example: immunity1 cannot interact with immunity2 and up.
  4. --Supports 20 immunity ranks. Shouldn't need anymore than that!
  6. local immunity2 = {"admin"}
  7. local immunity5 = {"Developer"}
  9. function PlayerPickedUpProp( ply, ent )
  11. if table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetNWString("usergroup")) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then return true end
  13. if table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetNWString("usergroup")) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then return false end
  15. if table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetNWString("usergroup")) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then return true end
  17. if table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetNWString("usergroup")) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then return false end
  18. end
  19. hook.Add( "PhysgunPickup", "PlayerPickedUpProp", PlayerPickedUpProp )

I basically want Developer to not pick up admin's props and admin not to pick up Developer's props just to test and see if it works right.
So, right now Developer can pick up all props, admin can't pick up any props, I am not sure what's going on PLEASE HELP!

Note: I want to keep tables, because this will be an addon soon and people will be able to configure it really easily by just changing the immunity table names.

Offline iViscosity

• View Profile
    • iViscosity Gaming
Re: my lua script won't work
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 07:20:24 PM »
I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about the whole prop targeting, but it MAY help if you use "ply:GetUserGroup()" instead of "ply:GetNWString()".

Sent using Tapatalk. Owner of iViscosity Gaming.

I'm iViscosity. I like gaming and programming. Need some help? Shoot me a PM or Join my Discord!.
--==[ Links ]==--
Steam
YouTube
Steam Group (feel free to join!)
Forums
Public Discord
Teamspeak

Quote from: Steve Jobs
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.

Offline Patrick Palson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 08:42:57 PM »
  1. if table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then return true end
Made no difference, one thing I noticed though, is that the script IS working, but it only is reading the first line, like the first line is
  1. if table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then return true end
and if I put return true to return false, then the Developer can no longer pick up props, but the other lines aren't taking effect for some reason.

I believe it has something to do with
Code: Javascript
  1. return false end
  and
Code: Javascript
  1. return true end

at the ending of each line, is there anyway I can put all the ends below all of the lines instead of ending each line separately?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:51:14 PM by Patrick Palson »

Online JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • View Profile
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 09:07:21 PM »
That's the way functions in lua (and most languages) work.
Once you return, value or not, it won't go further.
You could use logical operators, and, or, not, and perhaps an else.
Plenty of lua tutorials out on web for how to do that. (and, or, not, if else)
The price one pays for pursuing any profession or calling is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side. - James Baldwin

Offline Patrick Palson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 12:01:12 AM »
Anybody able to help?

Offline Patrick Palson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 12:09:04 AM »
  1. function PlayerPickedUpProp( ply, ent )
  2. if table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then pickup = true
  3. if table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then pickup = false
  4. if table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then pickup = true
  5. if pickup == true then return true end
  6. if pickup == false then return false end
  7. end
  8. end
  9. end
  10. end
  11. hook.Add( "PhysgunPickup", "PlayerPickedUpProp", PlayerPickedUpProp )

Trying some new things, nothing works, I'll keep trying.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • View Profile
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 12:34:25 AM »
How does your script know whose props are whose?

If you are using some kind of prop protection mod, you'd need to tie that into this. If not, you'll need to track props and entity spawns and assign owners so that you can determine who can pick them up.

Offline Patrick Palson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 12:42:04 AM »
It finds the owner of the entity being picked up, and that person's rank.
I've had it working before where only I could pick up the admin's prop and the admin couldn't pick up my prop.

Offline roastchicken

• Respected Community Member
  • I write code
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 01:08:52 PM »
  2. if table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then pickup = true
  3. if table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then pickup = false
  4. if table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then pickup = true
  5. if pickup == true then return true end
  6. if pickup == false then return false end
  7. end
  8. end
  9. end
  10. end

Trying some new things, nothing works, I'll keep trying.

I'm not sure if it makes a different, but Entity:GetOwner doesn't take any arguments. If you're trying to see if the owner of the prop has one of the ranks in immunity5, for example, you need to do the following:

1. local owner = ent:GetOwner()
  2. if table.HasValue(immunity5, ply:GetUserGroup()) and table.HasValue(immunity5, owner:GetUserGroup()) then pickup = true end

(To those more experienced with Lua: does Lua support function chaining? I've been working a lot with JavaScript lately so I originally wrote this example with ent:GetOwner():GetUserGroup(), but I'm not 100% stuff like that works in Lua.)

Another thing is that your code will only return something if it gets through all three if statements, which will never happen (assuming immunity5 and immunity2 have the same value as they did in your first post). You could see this pretty easily if you indented your code, like so:

2.   if table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then pickup = true
  3.     if table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then pickup = false
  4.       if table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then pickup = true
  5.         if pickup == true then return true end
  6.         if pickup == false then return false end
  7.       end
  8.     end
  9.   end
  10. end

I use two spaces to indent, but you can use whatever works for you. 4 spaces, tabs, etc.

To make sure the final if statements are reached, move them outside of the other if statements like so:

2.   if table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then pickup = true
  3.     if table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then pickup = false
  4.       if table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then pickup = true end
  5.     end
  6.   end
  7.   if pickup == true then return true end
  8.   if pickup == false then return false end
  9. end
  10. hook.Add( "PhysgunPickup", "PlayerPickedUpProp", PlayerPickedUpProp )

Taking this a step further, you can simplify those if statements to a simple return call. Because pickup is either true or false, you don't need to check it's value and return the Boolean literal; you can just return pickup:

4.       if table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then pickup = true end
  5.     end
  6.   end
  7.   return pickup
  8. end
  9. hook.Add( "PhysgunPickup", "PlayerPickedUpProp", PlayerPickedUpProp )

This doesn't fix the fact that the inner if statements are useless. If you just want it to block the pickup up of props belonging to players who outrank you, the following code should accomplish the same thing with less code (not that less code is always good):

2.   if table.HasValue((immunity5), ply:GetUserGroup()) and ent:GetOwner(table.HasValue((immunity2), ply:GetNWString("usergroup"))) then return false end
  3.   return true
  4. end
  5. hook.Add( "PhysgunPickup", "PlayerPickedUpProp", PlayerPickedUpProp )

This will return false if the player is outranked by the owner of the prop, and true otherwise.
Give a man some code and you help him for a day; teach a man to code and you help him for a lifetime.