Author Topic: Help a newbie start a server  (Read 3327 times)

Offline Banyon

• Kill 'a' Byte
Help a newbie start a server
« on: June 29, 2007, 02:31:21 PM »
Well, I decided to setup a private server on my HTPC for me and the rest of the HWG crew to screw around on.  We like the Ulysses server, but we like screwing around with space build, lifesupport, nukes and a bunch of other stuff that Ulysses just doesn't have or are too hectic for public servers.

The new problem is... I've never setup a Gmod dedicated server, or a source dedicated server myself before and I'm running into some issues.

The server itself is running, and I can connect to it.  Problems are as follows.

Even after forwarding the ports through my linksys router, it still doesn't show up on the server list.

Its running the default config, and I'm not sure where to make a config file for it.

I've run a CS:S server, but even then its been a while and I've forgotten where certain files go and what they need to contain.

Any help on this and maybe a config file to start with showing me how to change gamemode would be great.

Any suggestions on other ulib stuff or plugins in general would be great.  Got ULX, gonna put UTeam and UMotd probably, not sure if I even need UTeam.  Possibly UBan for when we unpassword it.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Help a newbie start a server
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 03:34:37 PM »
Banyon,
 At this time, Umotd will not work on ULX => 3.10. Sorry.

Here is where I got most of my info for running a server. (I used to run one frequently. Lately though, only when developing.)

I don't remember exactly what's in it to know if it answers all of your questions.
http://garrysmod.com/wiki/?title=Dedicated_Server_Setup

I know it has example config files.
They go in /server path/garrysmod/cfg
cfg is where ban files are stored by default to (both ULX and rcon writeid)

Have fun! Good luck.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 03:39:25 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 11:45:21 AM »
You probably want Uppl so people can't spam a million large objects.

What ports did you forward? I think there's three if I remember right. I just DMZ myself, never had any problems.

Change gamemodes with "map2" or "sv_defaultgamemode" and then "changelevel"
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Banyon

• Kill 'a' Byte
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 05:35:26 PM »
so sv_defaultgamemode "spacebuild" in the server.cfg?

BTW, got it showing up on the server list now, didn't change anything from last night.  It just started working.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 05:41:29 PM »
Yes that will work banyon. By the way, I'm hopelessly addicted to that plane you let me adv dupe. :P
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Banyon

• Kill 'a' Byte
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 01:03:43 PM »
Yeah, I love that plane, just don't let anyone copy it yet.  I might make it public when I do a bit more to it, but there are a few more things I want to change on it.