ULX

Author Topic: ULX as Common Admin mod  (Read 1604 times)

Offline captain1342

• Quality is our standard
    • Aperture Development - Quality is our standard
ULX as Common Admin mod
« on: February 11, 2017, 06:26:38 PM »
Hey I just wanted to ask something,

I have a Small hosting service and i wanted to ask if its okay if i add ulx to the default server so that any server has installed it when they get firstly created.

thanks for reading,

~MG
Aperture Development
Quality is our standard

Website - GitHub  - Forum  - Steam  - Discord

Offline Bytewave

• Respected Community Member
  • :)
    • My Homepage
Re: ULX as Common Admin mod
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 06:41:48 PM »
Considering you're free to use ULX for whatever purposes you so desire within certain bounds (see The CC Attribution Non-Commercial ShareAlike) license, I would assume this would be fine. Don't charge for installation, though, as profiting directly off ULX/ULib likely would violate the CC.

IANAL, nor a Team Ulysses member, so an official response would be more worthy, but that's my interpretation: as long as you don't profit directly, you're fine.
bw81@ulysses-forums ~ % whoami
Homepage

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 09:26:20 PM »
Though you're legally allowed to, and, we like the idea of any one running a server using our product of course, there are a few out there who might not like being 'forced' to use a certain product (even if said is 100 times better than any other :P).
So, yes, your more than welcome to, but, you might have a few customers who dislike that idea, or a few potential customers turn away.
Make sure to give people choice, even if it's an 'opt-out' checkbox during purchase of your hosting.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline captain1342

• Quality is our standard
    • Aperture Development - Quality is our standard
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 06:18:38 AM »
Well they are not forced .. it will be just Pre-Installed so that they have an Permission System from the first startup. My customers can anytime disable/remove ULX if they really want to.
Aperture Development
Quality is our standard

Website - GitHub  - Forum  - Steam  - Discord

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 10:46:22 AM »
Many hosts have ULX as a downloadable option for the servers they provide. Like jamminr said though, it might be better if you give them the option instead of just installing it. You're not Microsoft now, are you? :)