Author Topic: Looking to expand Lua knowledge.  (Read 2132 times)

Offline iViscosity

• Respected Community Member
Looking to expand Lua knowledge.
« on: February 27, 2017, 07:41:52 AM »
So over the couple years I've had Garry's Mod I've learned more and more Lua. However, I've really only gotten to the point of making a few addons for ULX and a standalone addon or two, but I've done nothing 'big'. That I want to change. I know many of you on these forums have made some amazing addons and gamemodes that are very intricate and took a lot of work. The thing is, I want to make something like that, but I don't have the knowledge to be able to. I've attempted to make things like that but I've always been discouraged because I couldn't figure out specific things; I didn't have the skill. Do any of you smart people out that have any resources that you used to learn and get better because I'd like to get better and be able to help more people.
I'm iViscosity. I like gaming and programming. Need some help? Shoot me PM.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: Looking to expand Lua knowledge.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 09:08:48 AM »
1. Do you understand programming logic?
    a. By that I mean, do you know how to write functions and call them?
    b. Do you know how variables work?
    c. Do you know how logic operators work?

If you answered yes, or even mostly, to the above then you have everything needed to get started.

The best way to learn, especially in garrysmod where you can see the results of your code instantly, is simply to think of something you want to do and just start doing it.

The wiki is such a good resource. You can see all of the available game hooks there.

Another good resource is friends with knowledge. You can add me on steam if you like and I will try and help you if you have questions, or you can always post here and you know people will help.

After enough time, you'll start to get better and better at the 'hard stuff'.

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 10:49:38 AM »
1. Do you understand programming logic?
    a. By that I mean, do you know how to write functions and call them?
    b. Do you know how variables work?
    c. Do you know how logic operators work?

If you answered yes, or even mostly, to the above then you have everything needed to get started.

The best way to learn, especially in garrysmod where you can see the results of your code instantly, is simply to think of something you want to do and just start doing it.

The wiki is such a good resource. You can see all of the available game hooks there.

Another good resource is friends with knowledge. You can add me on steam if you like and I will try and help you if you have questions, or you can always post here and you know people will help.

After enough time, you'll start to get better and better at the 'hard stuff'.

1. a. Yes
b. Yes
c. If you're talking about what I'm thinking about (and, or, etc.) then yes.

I do have quite a bit of experience on lua, (I have made some of my own things - in fact, I'm remaking your AAFK) but I'm looking to get better. My issue is I always get the feeling I'm going in over my head and then I give up. Like I made a post a few weeks ago about making a gamemode, I was trying to look at other gamemodes like TTT (because I had a similar-ish [when it comes to giving roles] gamemode in mind) but I couldn't figure out how they did some of the things they did. I might ask about it later on but for now I'm taking a break to work on a project I think I can do right now :P
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:52:40 AM by iViscosity »

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 11:49:23 AM »
If you're going to remake a project of mine, please rename it. :)

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 12:07:15 PM »
Of course, just a placeholder name because I built it off yours.

Sent from Tapatalk. Owner of iViscosity Gaming.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 12:33:49 PM »
So, I took a closer look at your 'remake' of AAFK.
Adding a couple lines doesn't constitute your own remake.
You literally copy and pasted my code, added a few lines for TTT, and reuploaded it.

Please don't repost my code on github. This is plagiarism and you don't have my permission to do so.

If you want to learn from how I did it and redo the addon from scratch, feel free, but modifying my code is not 'remaking' it.

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
I haven't actually changed much, your post said it was outdated so I put it there so I can get it when I'm not at home because I don't pay for private repositories. I didn't make a post or anything releasing it, it's simply there so I can get it from somewhere else. I really didn't mean to just take it like that, I just haven't worked too much on it yet.

I'm working on making an actual remake of it, so I'm using that as a template. I can take it down and leave it on my machine when I get home if that's better. I'm really not trying to steal it I'm sorry.

Sent from Tapatalk. Owner of iViscosity Gaming.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:43:27 PM by iViscosity »

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 05:14:05 PM »
Thank you for making your intention clear, iViscosity. If you want to host a private repository in the future, I recommend BitBucket. We use that internally with some Ulysses files. :)
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 06:31:24 PM »
Thank you for making your intention clear, iViscosity. If you want to host a private repository in the future, I recommend BitBucket. We use that internally with some Ulysses files. :)

Yes, I think someone mentioned BitBucket but I don't think I ever ended up using it... I'll try that out thanks.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 08:11:36 PM »
github is also publicly indexed by google, so it's not really a good idea to put someone else's code on there just for your own personal use. Why don't you look into setting up an hg repository on your own system if you're only using it for versioning and not for collaboration. We (G4P - my other community) used to use something like that, but I don't remember what it was as it wasn't me who set it up.

So yes, please take my code off your public git. Sorry.