Author Topic: Automatic GitHub Comitting  (Read 1304 times)

Offline iViscosity

• Respected Community Member
Automatic GitHub Comitting
« on: April 13, 2017, 07:03:35 AM »
Ok, so I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I'm sure it is somehow. I'm looking for something that will automatically, at a specific time or times, automatically add and commit changes to a GitHub local repository. I edit my repos on my local machine but I often forget to commit them to the repository so I can't work on them whilst I'm at school. Does anyone know if there is, or how to make, something like this?
I'm iViscosity. I like gaming and programming. Need some help? Shoot me PM.

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
Re: Automatic GitHub Comitting
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 09:53:07 AM »
I would advise against this- git commits should be as focused on a single thing (bug, feature, etc) as possible- as the history is valuable, especially when collaborating with other developers. Additionally, I find I rely on my current non-committed diff to see what exactly I have changed- Lots of times something will break randomly (or some solutions will require a lot of trial and error), and committing in the middle of a process like this can make your life difficult.

One solution is to utilize a cloud file-sharing system- we've used Dropbox to sync our Ulysses projects in the past for collaboration.  :)
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline iViscosity

• Respected Community Member
Re: Automatic GitHub Comitting
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 10:02:32 AM »
I've never thought of that... That makes a lot of sense.

The main reason I wanted to, though, is I'm not completed with it yet so working when I'm at school is fun for me
I'm iViscosity. I like gaming and programming. Need some help? Shoot me PM.