Author Topic: Changing ban message led to deletion of bans | Help Requested  (Read 1845 times)

Offline MrGeekabit

My ULib/ULX versions (run "ulx version" in console):
ULib v2.61d
ULX v3.71

Game mode(s) I am having this problem on: DarkRP

Lua errors shown in console, if any:
Code: [Select]
None

Hello, I have recently changed the ban message and added some extra text to make it better. Since doing this, the ban list has changed and now there are no names specified, only SteamID's, and all of them say that this ban has no metadata. We do have server backups, so I was wondering what files I would need to replace to fix our ban list and return the names and metadata.

Thanks,

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Changing ban message led to deletion of bans | Help Requested
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 05:28:37 PM »
Hate to answer your question with a question, but, answering this question answers yours.
What files did you edit?

Additionally, I just searched ULib and ULX, we only use the word metadata in one XGUI file in client ULX.
However, without knowing the file you edited, that very well could just be misreading info from another file you may have corrupted.
Shutdown server, then restore the file(s) you edited.
Restart server.
From there, if it doesn't fix it, shutdown server and restore /data/ulib/bans.txt (as it might be corrupted by whatever changes you made.

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline MrGeekabit

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 06:38:25 PM »
We didn't edit any files, I only edited the ban message through the ULX server settings in the GUI.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 09:39:48 PM »
I believe we keep ban messages in data/ulx/banreasons.txt
If that doesn't work though, something is wrong with your bans.txt, OR, you've set XGUI to show bans it doesn't have ULX data for.
Example - ULX/XGUI can show bans set through server console using non-ULX commands.
Say for instance, before you installed ULX and ULib, you banned people using source command, banid.
That will not store who or when. It will only store permanent bans and the steamid.
If XGUI can't convert 'when', or if the bans.txt file is corrupt for when, it will give the metadata error.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline MrGeekabit

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 08:16:13 AM »
So did me changing the ban message set all the bans to have no metadata or would that have to be another change that made that happen?

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 01:03:04 PM »
Changing the ban message would not affect the ban data -- something else must have occurred. You can restore the ban information with the bans.txt file if you have a backup of that.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.