ULX

Author Topic: Steam sale 2017  (Read 2056 times)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Steam sale 2017
« on: June 25, 2017, 04:56:06 PM »
Now, you likely all know that Steam is having a sale.
And, as I attempt to browse the store, I'm depressed.

Steam has gone down hill in the past few years for several reasons.
It's filled with too much trash.

I can't find games I'm interested in, even when I reduce my search using filters, those filters really aren't all that helpful to me because they rely on end user's sometimes garbage data input.
I find no way to use negative filters.
I can't find a way using the Steam client list games under $5.
And when I go to the web to do it, THERE ARE 384 pages.

Price points are much too high.
Games I wouldn't pay $5 for are now an average of $9.99 and 'on sale' for 50% off.
Seems I remember, even a few short years ago some of the games I put on my wishlist for ~$7.99 and would have bought on sale for less than 5 are now $4.99 on sale.

I managed to find some fun games using 3rd party website articles regarding 'gem' titles on sale.
I shouldn't have to rely on 3rd party sites. Sure, optional, but shouldn't be required.

Yes. I'm cheap, but it seems the UI experience of Steam just isn't what I remember from some years ago.
Especially since it seems a 5 year old can throw some code together and have it on Steam.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
Re: Steam sale 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
I concur... I no longer use Steam to search for games, and I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot of potentially good games. (I had passed by Ori and the Blind forest, but a friend recommended it and it is currently my favorite game of all time).

I check the news popups and the discovery queue (during sales, I skim through them very quickly) to look for potential new games, but honestly, I just use my wishlist to keep track of games I am potentially interested or get recommendations from friends, then check that to see if I ever want to buy anything.

But, for now, this is probably a good thing because I have a backlog of hundreds of games I should probably play first.  ;D
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline Neku

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 05:00:50 AM »
I'd just like it if they didn't count dlc as being "Games under $5".

It'd make the store less cluttered.
Out of the Garry's Mod business.

Offline roastchicken

• Respected Community Member
  • I write code
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 03:08:40 AM »
I agree, it's disheartening seeing how much shovelware is on Steam.
Give a man some code and you help him for a day; teach a man to code and you help him for a lifetime.