Author Topic: Save HTTP 418!  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Bytewave

• Respected Community Member
  • :)
    • My Homepage
Save HTTP 418!
« on: August 10, 2017, 09:22:52 PM »
Programmers, web developers, coffee brewers and internet goers, rise! There is a cause we must stand for, a cry for help! The IETF wants to take away our beloved 418 client response code to be "repurposed"!

The 418 status code is vital in the detection of networked teapots. Repurposing it would cause teapot detection to lose semantic meaning! I'm not sure about the rest of you, but the thought of losing the most vital status code to HTCPCP to whatever purposes this new chair plans to use it for is unbearable for me! I cannot stand to lose such a vital status code implemented in a great number of software projects!

Please, fellow programmers. Stand for the protection of HTTP 418 I'm a teapot. Stand for semantically-correct teapot identification. Stand for the joy, humor, and excitement 418 brings into your lives!

Or just stand for the meme.

http://save418.com/

also, hey there. long time no see. :)
bw81@ulysses-forums ~ % whoami
Homepage

Offline Timmy

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Code monkey
Re: Save HTTP 418!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 01:54:35 AM »
The importance of this status code to both developers and end-users cannot be underestimated. Removing it is 406 Not Acceptable.

#Save418

Offline Bytewave

• Respected Community Member
  • :)
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 01:20:02 PM »
Update: It appears IETF is taking strides to mark HTTP 418 as Reserved! This could grant us the victory we need! Hooray!
bw81@ulysses-forums ~ % whoami
Homepage

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 01:24:32 PM »
Though I agree with the importance, I feel I must present another side.
I've not researched what the IETF wishes to re-purpose 418 for; however, I might be more amiable towards the re-purpose if it were going towards, say, a 'honey pot' status.
Some might argue 418 Honey Pot might draw more flies to the internet. I feel though, if properly implimented, it could be a great upgrade to what, I believe, is less used.
Tea pots today just aren't as popular in the millennial age. Fortunately, perhaps a 418 Honey Pot would help bring awareness of our diminishing honey bee population to more.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:26:15 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming