Author Topic: Beta testers wanted: Bans ported to SQLite  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Beta testers wanted: Bans ported to SQLite
« on: September 08, 2017, 03:05:06 PM »
Bottom line up front: I'd like some people to try the latest-and-greatest changes to ULib at https://github.com/TeamUlysses/ulib/archive/fix-37.zip and let us know if you have any issues with anything related to bans. Download that zip and install it like it's the full, normal ULib zip file.

We are moving bans into SQLite. All servers will get a one-time, one-way conversion from the old ban system. If you use the zip above and need to move back to the old ULib with the old ban system, simply rename data/ulib/bans_backup.txt to data/ulib/bans.txt.

I'm a little hesitant to push this into our master Git branch until I've received some thumbs up from people who know that there's a potential risk. I have no reason to think there will be any problems... but with a change of this scale, I want to be sure. The only hiccup I noticed was that the one-time import of 6k+ bans pauses the server for a few seconds.

Rock on, ULX'ers!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:06:54 PM by Megiddo »
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Seph

Re: Beta testers wanted: Bans ported to SQLite
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 10:55:26 AM »
Heya,

Tested this on my server today. We've got about 5000 bans on our server (Paranoia TTT) and the lag was a real pain. Just added this to the server and it's working beautifully so far. All bans kept, and zero lag when I ban someone. I'll let you know if this changes, but right now it's wonderful. Thank you <3

(Now I just gotta figure out how to fix the lag related to the fact that we've been overusing ULib to store/autopromote too many groups.)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 06:07:18 PM »
We've heard reports of people getting lag from "too many users/groups", but never actually observed it occurring in the wild. Folks who reported it in the past were getting lag from something else. If you believe you have that issue, we'd be happy to help troubleshoot on your server.

Offline Seph

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 06:23:14 AM »
Nah well, I've already temp-fixed it by deleting about 4000 users from the users.txt file. That's interesting that you've never been able to confirm this particular issue, though. What were the actual reasons for the lag, in your experience?

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »
One person wasn't experiencing any lag at all as far as I could tell, and for another person, we discovered their lag was being caused by some other addon.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 02:17:13 PM »
This change has been merged into the mainline ULib

Offline Codingale

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 01:15:40 PM »
Since the release I've had no issues with lag during bans however I can confirm that large numbers of users (due to writing users.txt) causes lag when adding to a group.