ULX

Author Topic: Rank reset after map change/reset  (Read 1913 times)

Offline cafemarsh

Rank reset after map change/reset
« on: February 05, 2018, 08:59:39 AM »
My ULib/ULX versions (run "ulx version" in console):
ULib v2.63
ULX v3.73

Game mode(s) I am having this problem on: Trouble in Terrorist Town and Sandbox

Lua errors shown in console, if any:
Code: [Select]
no errors

Every level change or server reset, my rank is lost as well as any other players on the server. I've tried to explore fixes and I'm not getting anything so I came for help.

One intriguing line I've encountered is: "Groups file was not formatted correctly. Attempting to fix and backing original" and it proceeds to say it is backed up to data/ulib/groups_backup.txt, yet there is no backup in that folder.

Furthermore, I should provide that these errors began after the switch to a VPS and it is running Ubuntu 16.04. I am using the standard .zip versions of ULX and ULib, not the SVN or workshop version.

Please let me know if there's any further information I can provide.

I DID ATTEMPT ulx debuginfo AND NO FILE WAS CREATED.

Offline iViscosity

• Respected Community Member
Re: Rank reset after map change/reset
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:04:48 AM »
My ULib/ULX versions (run "ulx version" in console):
ULib v2.63
ULX v3.73

Game mode(s) I am having this problem on: Trouble in Terrorist Town and Sandbox

Lua errors shown in console, if any:
Code: [Select]
no errors

Every level change or server reset, my rank is lost as well as any other players on the server. I've tried to explore fixes and I'm not getting anything so I came for help.

One intriguing line I've encountered is: "Groups file was not formatted correctly. Attempting to fix and backing original" and it proceeds to say it is backed up to data/ulib/groups_backup.txt, yet there is no backup in that folder.

Furthermore, I should provide that these errors began after the switch to a VPS and it is running Ubuntu 16.04. I am using the standard .zip versions of ULX and ULib, not the SVN or workshop version.

Please let me know if there's any further information I can provide.

I DID ATTEMPT ulx debuginfo AND NO FILE WAS CREATED.
Before I begin to try to solve this, you say you're using an Ubuntu 16.04 system? Make sure all of the files relating to ULib and ULX (and every file/folder while you're at it) are completely lowercase and don't contain spaces. Linux is very picky when it comes to Garry's mod and caps/spaces in file and folder names. This could be the reason for your errors. If that doesn't help, try completely reinstalling ulx and ULib, making sure the files are in lowercase.

Edit: Also the reason you're losing your rank is because that backup file cannot be found. It's finding out why the invalid format/backup not being created which will lead us to the answer.

Edit2: Also be sure that the /data folder is chmod 777. The server must be able to write to the file.

Sent using Tapatalk. Owner of iViscosity Gaming.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:09:29 AM by iViscosity »
I'm iViscosity. I like gaming and programming. Need some help? Shoot me PM.

Offline cafemarsh

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:13:23 AM »
-snip-

To be honest with you, I didn't even consider a chmod 777. That fixed it lmao.

While I've got ya though, should I 777 my addons directory for workshop addons?

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:49:09 AM »
It would be useful to 777 any folder that may need writing to. If your add-ons are manually loaded, no need, but new add-ons may need it.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »
I'm no linux guru, but I really wouldn't give anonymous user read/write/execute access.
Start with high perms, then work way down.
I'd personally start with 770. If that didn't work, 775.
Linux gurus/computer scientists can give better advice than me if used to the *nix perm systems, but, yeah, I know and am paranoid enough not to use 777 except in cases of extreme emergencies.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 03:14:14 PM »
777 basically just means only the owner, members a part of the group allowed to edit it, and other users on the system can edit it. Someone would need to literally hack into your VPS SSH in order to edit data. If they've done that, the world group setting isn't going to matter as much. Generally, if you have a VPS through another host, they have enough security in place that you shouldn't have to worry about 777. Again, though, like JamminR said, if you're worried about it, try 770 or 775 first. Keep in mind I'm not an Ubuntu expert, but I know my way around Linux, VPSs especially.

EDIT: Big note though: if you're on a shared server (meaning you server is not installed on the root), I'd highly recommend 770. Especially if the parent folder is 777.

(P.S. Also this is why I want to go into computer science :P)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 03:26:20 PM by iViscosity »