Author Topic: Regarding the order of my ulx ranks  (Read 3861 times)

Offline [GL] KoreanBiscuit

Regarding the order of my ulx ranks
« on: October 19, 2018, 09:09:34 PM »
Hello,

I am experiencing another issue with using ULX
when I am trying to set the ranks in Hierarchy Order they just don't seem to want to go into Order I am trying to set them up According:

User -> bronzevip -> silvervip -> goldvip -> Trial Moderator -> Moderator -> Senior Moderator -> Admin -> Super Admin -> Head Administrator -> Head Of Staff -> Manager -> Community Manager -> Owner

Whenever I try to set them up according they always get mixed up and everything else and I get so confused and just want to give up lol any help is much appreciated!

Offline [GL] KoreanBiscuit

Re: Regarding the order of my ulx ranks
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 08:35:09 AM »
I'm trying to set the ranks up in Hierarchy Order and have no idea why they won't nor do I know how I am coming back from a decent lengthed break off of Garry's Mod and I can't set the phys gun and ulx command targetting because moderators can target superadmins and such because moderator ranks are higher when being created and I have no idea how to fix this do I edit it exclusively in the Groups . txt?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »
What do you mean 'higher'. Appearance in the GUI higher doesn't mean it has more power.
We do not recommend editing groups.txt manually - more often than not that is how people break things.
We NEVER recommend creating groups higher than superadmin - Most gmod scripts expect superadmin as the highest group.

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline E.L.M.S

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 10:28:23 AM »
With respect, I feel that your comment didn't quite answer this, I also have this issue and I would it would be nice to fix it as other wise, it may cause complications. If you know of a way to fix this, it would be much appreciated.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 06:52:58 PM »
The original poster, and yourself, have not given enough information as to what the exact problem is.
The original poster seems to ramble about perhaps more than one issue.
Yourself, you seem to say "what they said"

We understand you both are having an issue - it's just not clear to us what it is.

I didn't make an answer, I asked for more information as to what the original poster was asking, and while at it, recommended not trying to create groups with more access than superadmin and to not edit any file manually (as they asked)

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline E.L.M.S

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 01:39:20 AM »
Well Mr Jammin, I am trying to set up a clockwork server, and I haven't edited the text document you were talking about in your prior statement. The description of the issue would probably be that either the rank hierarchy seems to be in the wrong order, or something else, as admins and such can pickup higher levels, such as superadmins. This in turn poses an issue as it seems that admins have around the same authority as superadmins.

If this isn't enough information, I may be able to go more detailed, just I believe the current insight into the issue will suffice.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 01:27:20 PM »
Many addons affect physgun, and it's quite likely even gamemodes affect physgun. (I know little of Clockwork)
Though we try to remain gamemode and addon agnostic, due to the physgun being a large integral part of Gmod having, honestly, little to do with administration of a server, it's possible and likely the low priority control of physgun we attempt is getting overwritten.

From server console, while both a higher level group person and an admin that 'can pickup higher levels' are connected, please run "ulx debuginfo"
The server will tell you a location of a file to attach to your next post using the "Attachments and other options" link when posting.

If your 'lower' access groups can perform other ulx only functions on higher access groups, and you can give us an example or two of those exact commands (ie, ulx slap), we can look at the file and perhaps better determine why it's not working.
We may also be able to determine why physgun isn't workiing, but, as it's an often modified tool, it may not be as easy.

Offline E.L.M.S

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »
Mister Jammin, I did as you asked and me and a com padre had done your command, we then received the dump file and here it is.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 12:14:08 PM »
Apologies for such a late reply. I somehow missed the fact you had responded.
I hope you have a great Christmas and New Year.

I see no reason any "user" player would be able to use physgun due to ULX configuration.
The only possible oddity I see is that OPERATOR group would be able to physgun, or any other ULX command OPERATOR has, the MODERATOR group.
If, however, you have USER group perforuming physgun commands on any other group, It is most likely the gamemode or one of your addons.

I did make some notes below from the file you provided. You don't really have a hierarchy set up for the 'moderator' group you created.
I preffaced my notes with standard lua remark "--"
Code: [Select]
superadmin:
allow:
            -- <INHERITS ulx physgunplayer from admin>
ulx adduser = * <operator,admin,moderator> -- why limit superadmin for adduser?
inherit_from = admin

admin:
allow:
47 = ulx physgunplayer

ulx adduser = !%superadmin -- can add to any group except superadmin
can_target = !%superadmin
inherit_from = operator -- <is moderator not the next lower group>?
moderator:
allow:
            -- <INHERITS ulx physgunplayer from operator>
can_target = !%operator
inherit_from = user
    operator:
allow:
27 = ulx physgunplayer
77 = ... -- <OPERATOR has 77!! access strings. This is almost the same power as admin, is that intended????>
can_target = !%admin -- <OPERATOR can target MODERATOR - is that intended?>
inherit_from = user
Now, you CAN use the group order you have - it just makes it more difficult to remember who can do what, who can target who.