Author Topic: UE4 Project  (Read 14958 times)

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
UE4 Project
« on: December 26, 2018, 12:25:06 AM »
Hey everyone, for some time now I've been learning UE4 as a game engine, and have started working on a project.

The working title is currently Polygon Dungeons or PolyDungeons for short.

If anyone is interested in checking it out, I've been uploading nightly builds to just show off what I've accomplished and get feedback from some friends.

The premise of the game will be a casual/roguelike dungeon crawler. There will be a village that you can do things in. That stuff is still in the idea phase. But, underneath it all, there's a dungeon that you will have to go through floor by floor until you can't take it anymore. Items and experience you gain from each time through the dungeons will save and you can use them on subsequent attempts, but until you level up and get better weapons you'll find it harder to get through.

I've only been working on it for about a week now, but I'm making some good progress.

I'm not an artist, so you might notice that the models were bought from the UE4 marketplace.

I'll post a few images from the design process here as well as a link to the most up to date download.

If you are interested in following or discussing this with me, you may feel free to do so here, or you could join my discord chat where I often post things as I'm working on them.

Cheers!

Download: https://g4p.org/downloads/PolyDungeons(0.1.2).7z

Beginning in Version 0.1.2 if you press Shift+Ctrl+Del, it will reset your game save and start you from scratch if that's something you want while testing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 10:27:36 PM by MrPresident »

Offline Timmy

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Code monkey
Re: UE4 Project
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 01:46:35 AM »
Neat! Curious to see where you take this project. I'd like to take a look if you can get a Linux build out.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 09:53:21 AM »
Thanks! I'm not compiling for Linux yet, but so far, nothing I am using or doing precludes me from doing so. When there's something more substantial to show, maybe I'll look into getting the proper tools to make a linux build.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 06:44:19 PM »
Seems decent so far for a .01.
(Better than some higher versions I've seen of alpha/beta!)
I downloaded it and it ran.

For some reason, Q would not bring up a parts list, F wouldn't light the flashlight.
The tool gun just wouldn't load either, and I couldn't find hoverballs.

I joke, I joke.
It looks great. Rogue-like isn't my style of gaming, but I'll continue to enjoy the development stages until survival becomes too challenging for me.
I love sandbox exploration. I'll keep checking it out as time goes on.

Great work MrP.

Also, keep an eye out on humblebundle.com - sign up for humblebundle newsletters. I'm pretty sure there was some dev pack in the past year or two.
I know there was RPG maker stuff, but I think at one time there was some UE related project tools.
Heck, I might have even invested in a small portion because one game was included that I liked.
I'll check out my Humble library.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 11:53:31 PM »
Hah! No physguns or hoverballs here. Q will use any potions you have in your inventory though.

Here is the newest build. Not a lot of progress today, I worked a lot of a few things though.

https://gfycat.com/ActualInsecureIcterinewarbler
Grass is interactive

I also reworked the overworld map a bit.

Enjoy!

Download: https://g4p.org/downloads/PolyDungeons(0.1.1).7z

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 06:15:28 PM »
Thanks for the update.

Also, I was wrong, the HumbleBundle pack I got that had a game I did want, and then some developer tools I'll 98.8% likely never use, was a Unity dev bundle.
If you're interested, let me know through email. We can work out some trade, or something.

3 Unity asset packs
Inventory Pro
UFPS: Ultimate FPS
FlowCanvas
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 09:05:58 PM »
This is interesting, and I've no idea how I did it if it's not supposed to work this way.
I ran the latest 0.1.1.
Went through everywhere I could find (unlike when I just tinkered 5-10 minutes on 0.1) - killing all enemies, etc.
Spent a good half hour at least exploring, naming, pillaging. storming the castles.

I quit. Explored the files.
Went back, ran the main executable again - lo and behold, I start out in the dungeon/catacomb again, but, this time I have the sword - and the healing potions are gone from the table with the writing/reading dude.
I exit to the outside - all the enemies are gone.

How does that save? And, is it supposed to?
How would I reset again?

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 10:36:18 PM »
It saves, yes. It's normal for you to start out in the dungeon when you start it back up.

The game is supposed to seamlessly save what you've done, but in the future I'll enable a reset option or separate save files or something.

In the meantime, if you'd like to reset manually, you can go into AppData\Local\PolygonDungeons2\Saved and delete the save files.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 08:18:10 PM »
Went to your community and poked around because it had been entirely too long since I visited. (Sorry for that)

Noticed you were working on the other UE4 project too.
You've been busy! You single again?? 😜
 (Though joking, sorry for reals if so, if not, glad S.O. is supportive)

Take tips/ideas/bugs here for Polydungeon?

I can hit enemies through house walls.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 10:08:36 PM »
Ahh.. yeah I should block hits through walls.. haha

And, yes, I'm still married. PC is in the living room so I don't disappear. She's supportive. Also, it's break for both of us, so we're just killing time.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 10:19:07 PM »
New build update

Download: https://g4p.org/downloads/PolyDungeons(0.1.2).7z

Framework for a menu is in place. Press Tab to open.
I've also redesigned the initial dungeon to make it more 'story driven'
Some models have had their collision boxes reworked.
Grass Shader reworked
Added chests (Example one in the starting area)
Probably other things I'm not thinking of.

This being a pre-alpha phase of development, there won't be much in the way of content for a while. I'm working on the systems that I will use to build the content later on. If you want to download and try these builds out, that's awesome, but keep in mind that there's 'not much to do' other than run around and try and find bugs for me to fix, or give me ideas for things to add! :)

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 10:31:31 PM »
How would I reset again?

In this latest version, I added a way to do this by Pressing Shift+Ctrl+Del while in game.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 07:08:21 PM »
Re: Reset - cool. Easier to restart when those mace guys kill me. (Either I've been lucky, or 0.1.2 made them more difficult or plentiful)

While I'm running around maiming, pillaging, storming castles in Alpha, could you add some sort of enemy countdown as I kill them?
Would help me/us/anyone to know if we've found and killed all of them while bug hunting and feature requesting.
Even if it's a simple additional text at the top left - ## enemies left.

Not sure I saw it in tab menu, but you're going to add a gold counter soon too I'd hope.

Also, dead body gold floating sprite is difficult to see far away, and honestly, even close up.
It's beautiful when directly viewing nearby, but, after running around sword strafing a group of baddies, it's challenging to find where I've been to collect gold.
That might be your intention, but if not, perhaps draw distance and or size of sprite or both (or..something) could be modified?

Loving the fun details so far.

EDIT - Backpedaling?
I don't know how many time's I've wanted to walk "backwards", facing "forward", with character 'back' to my view, as I'm fighting so I could swing at enemies coming at me.
I imagine slowing speed a bit, perhaps (.9? x (current speed walk||run))?

EDIT2 - Ok, I keep starting then stopping to write ideas/notices. (No - I do not expect any ideas to be included - they are a single person's ramblings for ideas of what could become thousands against later)
1) Backpedaling - see edit above.
2) Floaty gold - difficult to see after a battle (I realize you might intend this)
3) Small detail - the broken dungeon chandalier - at least have 2-3 candles lit on it, if it can 'swing/move' and be lit too. If not swing and be lit, never mind. :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:31:47 PM by JamminR »

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 11:07:30 PM »
I added an enemy count for you. Seems like a fun idea for alpha testing.

The candles on the broken chandelier wasn't a bad idea, the only issue is that the texture on the candles isn't "lit".. you'll see.

I increased the sprite size on the pickup particles.

As for walking backwards... while I can see how that would be useful, usually walking backwards in TPS games isn't a thing. I don't even have animations for that, so that'll have to go on the back burner for now.

I'm reworking some HUD things, hopefully I'll have another build up tonight or tomorrow.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 02:52:41 AM »
https://www.g4p.org/downloads/PolyDungeons(0.1.3).7z

Reworked the HUD
Added an enemy count for JamminR. :D
Gold Dropped particle size increased.
Doors can be locked now and might require a key.
Leveling system implemented
Quick Use slot shown on HUD. You can right click items in your inventory to assign them to the Quick Use slot. (There's only 1 item currently)
Other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.