ULX

Author Topic: UE4 Project  (Read 14967 times)

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: UE4 Project
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 09:16:50 PM »
Yes, there will be a Day/Night cycle.

Re: Quaint. Try pressing Num-+ or Num-Enter.. it'll equip a simple torch. I can't remember off the top of my head what key does that, but one of those numpad keys does.

I plan on tying the sprite into the story, as some form of sentient life or something along those lines, so you probably won't be able to "equip" it.. but I'll try and make it as unobtrusive as possible, perhaps hiding itself in times when its not necessary.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2019, 08:45:42 PM »
More 'fairy' stuff.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:47:39 PM by MrPresident »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2019, 12:16:28 PM »
Great!
I look forward to the next alpha.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2019, 08:07:24 PM »
Ok, since I can no longer access discussion thread at that other location you've posted various versions to, I'm going to be making posts here until it comes back, or until you set up that other site you mentioned in private discussion.
(Yes, I'm purposely being vague with above, as I don't quite know how much you wish to share publicly) :D

Some of this will be familiar, as it's somewhat of a copy/paste.

My spec for any issues (unless otherwise stated)
Win10 Pro + AMD1100T cpu + Nvidia 960 GTX OC GPU

I _DO_ understand any/all of these may not be of concern this early in the process. They're only a diary of things I notice when I notice them

All versions listed in front or end of comment.

-- (0.1.7) - Path lights - not lit at night. Only the one in front of shop/inn. I could have sworn they were lit in 1.6 on a nightwalk I took.

-- 0.1.8 - FIXED - (0.1.7) After loading saved game, you can get the butt-protector even though you already grabbed it earlier. Selling it back to the shopkeeper nets a nice profit and still allows the player to keep one.
(EDIT - I've now determined save game doesn't cause this - entering dungeon/exiting back to outdoors seems to respawn the item)

-- (Most versions up to .0.1.7) It's pretty easy to get over/stuck behind the map edges.

-- +10 FPS each version going from .1.5, to .6 to .7 to .8
("Epic" settings get me ~55-60 in dungeon, ~65-70 outside as of 1.8)

-- (as of 0.1.8) Small annoyance that may never affect true beta or prod, but, enemy counter doesn't go down until after the blue soul sprites melt away - that could be +10 seconds after I'm in a big fight and it's difficult to tell if I should still be worried I've not killed any one of the group I'm currently engaged with

-- (0.1.8) - Setting EFFECTS quality to 1 or less causes dungeon candles flicker to just look horrible. Could they just be set not to flicker, but instead, be "constant" non-moving. Even at 60-70FPS they 'flash' on and off noticeably

-- (0.1.8) - Can't sell starter sword to Willie Dinklesmith or other shopkeeper

-- (0.1.8) - Can sell crystal sword or but protector to shopkeepers, but they never show up in shopkeeper inventory to buy back if I so chose.

-- (0.1.8) - Annoyance - can't use keyboard to select/control menus. I presume this would also make the game 'mouse/gamepad only'
------------------------
RE: PATH LIGHTS - I've been unable to reproduce the no path lamps issue. Originally, it happened this way:
Sometime one night, I left the game. I don't remember where I was when I left, but likely in the dungeon with the stones/booby traps. I quit to desktop. next day, I came back, loaded the game, walked outside, gazed in wonder at the pretty stars, bright moon, walked towards shop and realized only that one light in front was lit.
Tried walking pathway. Even with full moon, path seems to stop reflecting any light as you move farther from city.
I've been attempting to reproduce ever since. No luck so far. I'll post here if I'm able.
EDIT - Ok - Now I'm really confused. I just loaded up the game, walked the entire path at night. The path/land around it was well lit by the moon overall. Even on sections of the path where there are no lamps, I could follow it.
Are there nights with "no moonlight" replicated in the day/night cycle? I could see one as it was rising when I tried walking and it was too dark originally.
Even so, there were no lamps at that time I tried, so maybe a lighting environment issue.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 08:33:04 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2019, 08:24:40 PM »
Was able to reproduce path light "bug"  - "It's always darkest before dawn?"
It seems near dawn, only one light is lit (in front of shopkeeper, and inside), and, the path reflects no light whatsoever.
Image attached - stone path is outlined by blue lines. arrow points to lamp. Dot/circle below shows no light from lamp.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2019, 12:24:12 PM »
RE: Path Lights - That's interesting. I'll have to see if I can reproduce this. They are on a timer and should come on after a certain time and turn off before a certain time. If you load a game in the middle of the 'on' time they should start 'on' and 'off' if you load in the day. Maybe you caught it right as they were turning off? No clue.

RE: Darkness Levels - There are two things that dynamically control the moon light level at night. Moon cycle is simulated. Some nights will have waxing and waning moons, or full moons or new moons. This (of course) will affect the light level. As well as moon cycles, I believe the cloud density is simulated as well. A random overcast percentage each day. This also affects the light levels. Therefore it is entirely possible to have bright or very dark nights.

Re: Starter Sword - You are not allowed to sell the starter sword yet, as this would break some gameplay things, but perhaps I'll change this once there are other ways to acquire weapons.

Re: No buyback - There is no buyback implemented yet. This is on my list of things. If the shop keeper already has stock of an item you are selling him, he will add to it, but otherwise, there is no way to rebuy items yet.

Re: Enemy counter - Enemies don't despawn until the particles go away, and them despawning is what causes the counter to go down. This counter won't even be in later version of the game, so it's not really something I care to change.

Re: Menu navigation - For now, some menu choices are only accessible via mouse. I hope to have time in the future to make it more keyboard/controller friendly, but that's a beta not alpha thing.

Re: Candle Flickering - I'll check in on this. I thought I removed flickering lights from all sources already.. maybe I missed candles? Either way, no lights should be flickering anymore. It was causing too much of a frame drop for people on mid-tier machines.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2019, 06:57:21 PM »
Re: Re: Flickering candles - I see what you mean now. It's not the light so much as the flame sprite. Lowering effects makes particle spawners spawn fewer particles which is what causes this. I should try and get it to look better though.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2019, 07:32:48 PM »
I imagine if effects level < 2, replace dynamic with static single 'always on' sprite?
I've no clue if that would actually make it harder on system though. I figure if it's the same sprite everywhere, it wouldn't make it any strain than now, and it wouldn't flash on/off.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2019, 08:02:39 PM »
I've not noticed any updates in a while... real life getting in the way?
(even if so, hope the real's is good stuffs and not bad)

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2019, 09:10:47 PM »
Yes, and no.

I've been working a lot more lately (Substitute Teaching) which is why I haven't been making as regular of updates, but the main reason is that the things I'm doing aren't really ready to be shown off yet.

Here are some examples:

Working on some new building tiles for overwork houses (learning blender along the way)

Working on more advanced AI for NPCs.
http://g4p.org/uploads/knTh2pv1ot.webm

Been working on getting some animals added:

Toying around with bows and bow animations:
http://g4p.org/uploads/6ye0wU4mCF.webm

NPC Dialogue:

Farming.. which is nearly complete (or at least the shell of it is)

Lots of other small things that I can't remember.
Maybe this weekend I'll push an update that you guys can look at, it's just there really isn't any more content yet.. just working on some systems.