ULX

Author Topic: Facepunch Forums Closure  (Read 4848 times)

Offline Timmy

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Code monkey
Facepunch Forums Closure
« on: June 14, 2019, 07:18:26 AM »
As you may have heard, the Facepunch Forums (forum.facepunch.com) shut down permanently on 12th of June 2019 at about 19:05 UTC.

Quote from: Garry Newman
Hello Friend,

I'm sorry to tell you that the Facepunch forums are now closed.

Thank you to everyone that has worked to make the community better. There have been too many people over the years to list individually but Hezzy has definitely worked harder for you guys than anyone else (including me) - so thank you Hezzy for everything you've done for us.

Some of the community have started a new forum to host the Facepunch Refugees - if you need a new home please give them a visit.

It's not lost on me that this forum has been a part of people's lives for nearly 15 years. It's been a place where friendships have been made and personalities have been defined. I've always acted like you were a pain in my ass, but always been proud of you.

- Garry Newman

The Archive Team has archived the forums and made it available through the Wayback machine at https://web.archive.org/web/20190612000106/https://forum.facepunch.com/.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Facepunch Forums Closure
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 08:25:18 PM »
Wow. End of an era.
Honestly though, I've not logged in there in years.
Attitudes just got too bullish for the areas I frequented.

I'm tempted to move this topic to News - but I'm afraid anyone monitoring the News thread might mistake it for us ending.
I'm not saying it won't ever happen - just not now.

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 08:28:43 PM »
NEVER!

Offline BlueNova

• The most powerful force in the universe.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 08:54:48 PM »
Facepunch always gave me an elitist attitude from the threads I'd read. Though it was nice to look at threads as they'd help me fix issues I couldn't figure out

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 10:50:59 AM »
Interesting, if not slanted much like the original forums, view of all the changes that helped lead to the closure.
https://www.wikipunch.com/index.php/Shutdown_Crisis

I had no idea of the section merges. If I hadn't stopped visiting already, I definitely would have then.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Timmy

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Code monkey
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 03:35:18 PM »
I wonder how much this will affect Garry's Mod. Facepunch was a great resource when debugging GLua issues. Especially when I was just starting out. I can't imagine what it would have been like without all that knowledge so readily available.

Now I am creating a searchable database with the data from the archived pages. Let's see how that goes. :)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 01:53:14 PM »
Interesting! I saw he had threatened to shut them down on the blog but hadn't expected it to actually happen. There's always reddit! https://www.reddit.com/r/gmod/

* Megiddo wonders if Garry's just having too much fun in his Tesla these days to keep up with a community.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.