ULX

Author Topic: ulib bans issue.  (Read 5556 times)

Offline s8ncaat

ulib bans issue.
« on: September 15, 2019, 08:55:17 AM »
Hello, so I'm currently trying to import ulx bans to https://www.gmodstore.com/market/view/global-ban-simple-way-to-ban-globally-gban and it's only importing 10 out of the 300 bans we currently have. I've tried updating ulx and ulib, taking out the custom ulx commands i have, re-naming bans_backup.txt to bans.txt (it reverts back to bans_backup.txt).

It's an issue with ulx since some of the bans have imported, was just wondering if anybody had any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 09:15:31 AM by s8ncaat »

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: ulib bans issue.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 10:02:58 AM »
How is this an issue with ULX?

ULX stores the bans in a way that ULX understands and can use. If a 3rd party application is having trouble importing the bans, it sounds more like an issue with the 3rd party. You know? Your logic is slightly backwards on this.

As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with the way that we store bans.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »
There's no way for me to know what it's doing since I don't use global bans from gmodstore, but it sounds like at some point it is having trouble reading something from the file to import and is halting. Maybe it's expecting something that isn't there? Again.. no way to know.

Offline s8ncaat

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 10:11:33 AM »
There's no way for me to know what it's doing since I don't use global bans from gmodstore, but it sounds like at some point it is having trouble reading something from the file to import and is halting. Maybe it's expecting something that isn't there? Again.. no way to know.

Probably should have clarified a little, is it an issue that there isn't even a bans.txt file, that the bans are just being straight up stored to bans_backup.txt?

It's like ULX is only reading 10 bans rather than 300. I was wondering if that was an issue that could correlate with the bans being in bans_backup.txt rather than bans.txt

Sorry if i confused you.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 10:21:09 AM »
Where are you seeing that you have 300 bans? In the ULX Menu?

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 10:28:53 AM »
By the way,

bans_backup.txt is generated when ULX needs to re-create the bans file for some reason. usually because there's an error in the file.

the backup file contains the bans.txt as it was BEFORE it was re-generated, so simply renaming it to bans.txt isn't going to do anything except cause ULX to recreate the backup file and re-generate a bans.txt file using whatever 'good' info it can get.

The most common reason this happens is if you're missing a bracket { } in which case it will load everything up until the missing bracket and then error (creating the backup and a new bans.txt with only the good info in it)

Attach a copy of your bans_backup.txt

Offline s8ncaat

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 11:06:00 AM »
The ULX menu displays that there are 293 bans active currently.

I was just wondering if having no bans.txt file (only bans_backup) is why ulib can't read the bans.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 11:11:17 AM »
Those bans have to come from somewhere.

ULX reads bans from a few locations.

bans.txt in the ULib folder as well as some ban cfg files in the garrysmod/cfg folder.

It's possible that the bans are there and ULX is just reading them to display in the ULX menu.

Maybe the importer doesn't read from that file, only the bans.txt file?

Offline s8ncaat

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 11:36:49 AM »
It's just strange also that some of the bans that actually were imported, that some of the steam ID's aren't even in the bans_backup.txt file or banned_user.cfg files. Makes me think that somehow they're being stored somewhere else, but I have no idea why or where that would even be, I've been through a bunch of folders in /data and in /cfg and can't see anything.  ???

Offline s8ncaat

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 11:39:22 AM »
The actual addon imports from the ULib.bans table, so thats probably why those Steam ID's aren't from the bans_backup.txt file, but i'm still not sure why the ULib.bans table would be un-readable for some reason  :o

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 12:00:09 PM »
Did you print the table to see how many bans are in it?

lua_run PrintTable( ULib.bans )

If there are bans in the table that aren't being imported.. then it's time you go seek more answers from the developers of the gban addon. :)

Offline s8ncaat

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 12:24:19 PM »
Ah, there were more bans printed, I'll endeavor in the new possibilities now aha. You can delete/lock/move this thread.

Cheers for the help!