ULX

Author Topic: House for Sale  (Read 19537 times)

Offline Golden-Death

• Honored Lua Scripter
    • BlueFire
Re: House for Sale
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 06:40:56 PM »
I like your proposition. I had some free time to kill, so I decided to see how many quarters 500,000 really is.

I don't think you want this many quarters...

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 06:42:53 PM »
So... what are we looking at exactly?
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 08:50:02 PM »
We went on the market with a realtor Tuesday afternoon. Get more quarters GoldenDeath.

We got our first call this morning, first showing from 1 to 2 today.
Got a call this evening, another showing from 1 to 2 tomorrow.

We went by and saw our new house during our showing.
They've put the brick and siding on. Workers were actually working today on the brick.
It looks great.

So, come buy my current house soon. It's well priced!
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2008, 07:42:01 PM »
While gone during our second showing today, took pictures of the new house. We think we've picked some nice colors for the siding and brick.

Goldendeath, I found a nice place for your quarters. Send them quick!

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline spbogie

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 08:39:17 AM »
Jam,
Looks like they broke a few bricks in the process, and I assume there's going to be something more than 2x4's with shear screws holding up that overhang eventually ;P.

Meg,
GD's picture is 500,000 black pixels on a white canvas, but he saved it as a jpeg resulting in the strange grid artifacts and blur.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison
I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 06:56:37 PM »
Spbogie, I got a good deal.... why do you think I want those quarters so badly?
:D
Got a call from the realtor earlier today, another showing set up for 1130am this coming Wednesday.
(Running count since going back on the market = 3)

Offline spbogie

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2008, 07:21:53 PM »
= 3)
lol, that makes a funny looking smilly XD
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison
I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2008, 05:16:24 PM »
Tomorrow's (wednesday) cancelled.
Little buggers.

Heard that Saturday's showing people said 'love house, but too small'.
Yes, 1400+ sq ft is a bit small for some. We clearly advertise that its that size, pictures show rooms.
What were they expecting?
Biltmore?

Offline Golden-Death

• Honored Lua Scripter
    • BlueFire
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 10:19:47 PM »
Yeah, the picture is of 500,000 quarters. It isn't the jpg that killed it though, it's all the terrible resizing I had to do to not make the image 50 times the size of your monitor and 400 megabytes. I'll do some math and be right back with more interesting figures.

I used this quarter for the image, multiplied by 500,000 by hand.

500,000 quarters

are massed at 2,835,000 grams, which equals 6,250.10513 pounds

If you laid the quarters out side by side in 1,000 rows of 500, you'd get:
1000x500

24260mm x 12130mm
=
79.59 feet by 39.79 feet
=
3166.8861 square feet
=
3,166.8861 square feet = 0.000113596408 square miles.

If stacked, they would be
875,000 millimeters tall, which = 2,870.73491 feet, which = 0.543699794 miles tall.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 10:33:10 PM by Golden-Death »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 09:06:17 PM »
Had a showing today. Back up to official count of 3.
We pick lighting for the new house tomorrow.
For some reason, I'm just not as excited as I was for picking counter tops, tile, carpet, and linoleum.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
Why I hate being listed to sell an occupied home.
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2008, 07:09:52 PM »
[RANT]
GRRrrrr. I dislike having to be ready to go at a moments notice.
1) I miss my cluttered desk.
Someone on craiglist is wanting a ceiling fan. I have two I refuse to take with me. (Sale, Goodwill, etc)
Took pictures. Went to look for a connection cable to a camera and couldn't find it.
I'm sure it's packed in a nice neat area somewhere. Ready to move. I had a card reader, so yanked the card out of my camera and used it.

2) Day planning. Procrastination impossible.
I woke up early (for me) today. 7am. Lay in bed about 10-15 minutes thinking, can I sleep more?
I get up. Make coffee. Straighten up a bit. Need to mow, but wife is sick, sleeping in. Fine. I'll wait till 5 or 6 when shadows just start to grow long.
I patter around. Can't clean much more. Wifes in bed. 1pm rolls around. I think "prime home shopper" time. Nothing.
3pm rolls around. I start getting sleepy. I decide to take a nap. I lay down. I doze off. 320... RING RING.
Realtors office...showing at 530.
Darn it. I waited all day for you. Why during my nap, and when I have house chores to do?
I quickly get up, vacuum, mow most of the lawn. *While mowing, 'home shopper' drive by as I'm about to quit and head back to garage
I turn self propelled mower back to full, walk behind it and quickly mow two 80ft lines back and forth (I'd left a bit undone) using one hand to steer.
"See!? See!!? Look how easy it is to mow this lawn compared to the huge hills of the other yards for sale near me!"
(My yard really is easier...but at first inspection does look impending)

515pm - we leave

3) Fuel
I'm picky where I get my fuel. After some years of trial and error, I've found one brand in my area gives me best MPG of any other.
Unfortunately, this brand has few stations in my area. I go driving, not realizing I'm somewhat low. I explore roads I've not been down before, but, thanks to Google maps, have a general idea where they end up. About the same time I'm ready to go home, nowhere near a route that takes me by one of my stations, I realize I'd left myself enough fuel on Friday to get to a meeting I had Saturday, get home, then get to work on Monday, get fuel during lunch, and be done with it.
Noooo. I now have to put an inferior company's gas, even if only a few dollars, in my tank tomorrow morning with my carpool bud.

615pm - We're back.

4) Phone interruptions. 5) False hopes
My wife was talking on the phone to my mother-in-law. I love my mother in law. Wife gets a call. I over hear 'mom, gotta go.' Our realtor is back from a weekend trip. I overhear "Oh? Great! I was planning on going to the drs tomorrow anyway." I start thinking "someones made an offer?... meeting with realtor perhaps? Why else would our actual realtor call instead of her office after getting back from a trip?"
No. Yet another viewing. Scheduled for 10am tomorrow.

I figure it's the drive by we had at 430ish. Hope they like my yard.
[/rant]

Official count of views since relisting, is now at 4, with one scheduled tomorrow.
We relisted Wed May 28. It's now Sunday Jun 8. Less than two weeks ago.

Yes. I know that the more showings, the more my chances increase I won't have to carry this house in the new one.
I just hate having to live my life on the edge... always waiting for that call.
Darn it. Someone needs to purchase this house (lots of quarters!) so I can go back to being normal, at least for a month and a half.
Packing will already be a breeze. I've got most of what I would pack already packed and in storage to declutter the house for showings anyway.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 11:25:30 PM »
Small update -
We've now had 5 showings (1 since last post)

I have a major cold/croop of some sort, I'm staying home from work tomorrow (well, technically, it's already tomorrow, so, staying home from work today)

What that means is that I'll expect my realtor to call while I'm trying to rest.
Though I could say "No" to showing, I'd really have to be on my death bed to say that.
What that _really_ means is that towards mid day when I've tried somewhat to stay up and dressed enough to go out on a few minutes notice, I've given up and decided to get back into my pajamas, I'll _then_ get the call.

Murphy's laws of house showing (while sick)

Bad item -
Wife has been watching interest rates for mortgages. They've gone up since we locked in for our other house. That makes a challenge for buyers in our home price range (usually first time buyers).

Good item - Many of the houses in our immediate area that were for sale have either sold or gone off the official listing market. With exception of a foreclosure, we're now the most affordable home in our neighborhood.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2008, 04:11:35 PM »
I got much rest today. Slept from 4am to 230pm. No showings/wake up calls from realtor.

Wife did call and let me know we have a showing tomorrow (Saturday) from 1 to 2pm.

Also, I asked and got a volunteer in another GMod related forum I hang out in to build my new house virtually.
Though some work is yet to be done on it, he's come along with quite a nice draft. See attached.
Not sure how I'm going to pay him back yet.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2008, 03:17:59 PM »
8 showings now. Re-listed 3 weeks ago I think.
The one last saturday mentioned previously.
Wednesday I got called at work, and told not to come home until after 6.
Thursday had one while we were at work.

Anyone out there want to move to TN?
I know a nice place for sale.
:P
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 05:00:59 PM by JamminR »

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2008, 06:46:14 PM »
I do like the GMod house, looks like a cozy place to move into... but where will you put the computer? :( And that thing that connects to the keyboard to interact with the world.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.