ULX

Author Topic: Couple Quick Questions  (Read 3078 times)

Massacre87

Couple Quick Questions
« on: July 29, 2006, 05:37:42 PM »
I'm trying to set up a server so me and some friends can play at lan's, I have a lot done but there still a few things I would like to know...

Note: I have ULX 1.13

1. I'm trying to find a spawn menu that is easy to use and can make a admin menu. I tried eswep but i don't like how it crates weapons.

2. How do you set teams(colors) for different people?

3. How do you block certain objects from being spawned?

4. How do I start people off with certain weapons depending on access level? (admin, player)

5. How do you make messages that come up in the middle of the screen at certain intervals?

Sorry for my noobness, I've never made a server before.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Couple Quick Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 11:00:37 PM »
Note: I have ULX 1.13

Chicken!!! C'mon, try the latest greatest beta ULX and Ulib releases by Megiddo!
:D

1. I'm trying to find a spawn menu that is easy to use and can make a admin menu. I tried eswep but i don't like how it crates weapons.

I've not currently investigated any swep menu other than what Ulx provides.
If you at least want pick and choose capability, that is only sometimes 'buggy',
go into your lua/ulx/ulx_menus.lua file (wordpad opens it fine, might have to associate it first, notepad probably won't, as notepad usually shows the files all bunched together)
Once you've opened the file, find the line that reads "WEAPON_MENU_ENABLED = false" at very top.
Change that to "WEAPON_MENU_ENABLED = true"
 Now you and any admin with 'access_kick", letter "c" in access flags, will have an extra ulx_menu option.
This option allows you to give users, either all, or individual, various SWEPS you have.

2. How do you set teams(colors) for different people?

As listed in your ulx_help menu from console...
ulx_team <user> <team> - forces the user to join the team ( unassigned, spectator, blue, yellow, green, red ) ( say: team )

3. How do you block certain objects from being spawned?

ULX 1.x is _very_ buggy about whether it works or not for its anti-spam and prop protect.
(ULX v2 didn't include either)
I'd dare say much of the problems it has are due to conflicts with any number of lua scripts out there.
However, perhaps you'll have better luck. Worth a shot.
Start with going into your ulx/configs/server.ini file.
Change ulx_sv_antispamenabled from 0 to 1
Change any of the other antispam variables you think. Defaults should work fine.
Then, go into your ulx/ulx_props.lua file. Scroll all the way down to the bottom.
There is the format for adding items you don't want spawned.
Chimney is already set to 0.
My apologies, but if you need to add more than whats listed, I don't know an easy way to find the exact model path.
 As for if ULX's protection doesn't work for you, there is a PropProtect from the FP forums that seems popular.

4. How do I start people off with certain weapons depending on access level? (admin, player)

With ULX? Hmm. Not possible without a plug in (which I've not seen), other than following my directions in my answer to your question 1 above. Admins have to have 'kick' ability. "c" flag in ulx/configs/users.ini

5. How do you make messages that come up in the middle of the screen at certain intervals?

Open up your ulx/configs/server.ini again, find the section that reads // Adverts
Add additional lines you want using addCsayAdvert like the example there.
Though not timed or repeating, you can say things yourself using
ulx_csay <message> - prints the message in the center of everyone's screen ( say: @@@ )
I think admins have to have the chat access to do that.

Sorry for my noobness, I've never made a server before.

Have fun! :D
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Massacre87

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 10:29:03 PM »
Thanks JamminR for the help, the weapon menu in ULX is very useful, I did get Ulib and ULX 2.2 and was wondering if there was a way to activate it in ULX 2.2.  My other question is about teams; how do you make it so certain people go on to a team when they join?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 12:34:00 PM »
Just to make sure others don't get confused, as of this post, Ulib latest version is 1.01, and ULX latest is 2.01.
:D

I commend you on trying the latest. I was joking as I would hope you can tell by saying beta with strikeouts about the new versions.
It seems as though several of the other posters here are sticking with the older ULX 1.13 until more plugins come out for v2. This is understandable.

There is no current 'auto' team assign for either version of ULX that I've seen.
There are probably other releases that exist for doing this on the LUA forums at FacePunch.
I don't like recommending people look there, as I'd love to see more Ulib developers here write new ones, but I can't tell people to re-invent the wheel if they aren't engineers (read:don't/can't learn lua) and can't make improvements to it.
I can only recommend they learn to use ULib to make the wheel better. :)

ULX v2 contains no swep functions in any of its menus. I'm not sure why, as it was handy.
I've looked at v2s ulx/menus.lua, and it seems to me it wouldn't be too difficult to use its map change menu, which is added to admins Spawn menu as 'changelevel', as a very basic template for adding sweps. Things would have to be changed/added of course, and even more added to make a 'basic' all users menu, and one for 'admin' access only.
That too might be re-inventing the wheel though.
There was a conversation between aschmack and I in the Ulib/ General Help and Support / Developers Corner about getting the ESWEP release working with Ulib, which he ended up doing.
See page 2 of that discussion if you think you might like ESWEP.
See the FP forums / LUA / Releases section for where to get ESWEP.

Edit: I now see/remember from your first post you didn't like ESWEP.
Sorry. There are others I would hope, though I'm not sure how they'd work with ULX.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 04:38:05 AM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Massacre87

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 11:22:13 AM »
Well I got everything to work on my server that I wanted, I even got eSwep not to make crates (deleted several lines of code), the only thing I have left to do is have a way to give people sweps which is why I liked the wepaons menu; with it on though eSwep ceases to work, any work-around for that?

Note: I went back to ULX 1.13

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 12:14:57 PM »
Sounds like ULX grabs the function that ESwep uses to get the weapons list.
This is perhaps why by defualt it is disabled.

I don't know ESWEP. Sorry.
Might ask at the ESWEP FP forum release how to make it co-exist peacefully.
Surely someone else has wanted to do it.