Author Topic: Lua  (Read 3832 times)

Offline blacksythe

Lua
« on: March 16, 2008, 05:52:57 PM »
Something persuaded me to pull the stick out of my ass and start learning the lua syntax.

After some tinkering around and reading through the entire wiki and the work of about 20 different coders work several from the ulx site and a few from catdaemon.

Is there any starting point that people can recommend because right now im gearing towards a ulib plugin

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Lua
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:57:40 PM »
I personally would find it difficult to give you a starting point as we don't know your idea/goal/item you'd like to do.

Do you have an idea of something you'd like to add or see done as an ULib plugin? Have you seen a plugin somewhere and thought "this is nice/fun/great, but it would really be better with <blank> added?"

Not sure if you've seen this;
ULib documentation
It doesn't have code examples like the Garry's mod wiki does, but it is much more complete for ULib than the Gmod wiki is for G-Lua
It's also a good gathering of all of ULib's functions when you need a quick description and don't want to have to search through the actual ULib files.
(Though, the actual ULib files will usually be more up to date)

And of course, Gmod, ULib and any other function written in Lua wouldn't be possible without the functions listed at
Lua 5.1 Reference Manual

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 08:07:44 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 08:11:03 PM »
An interesting idea for a simple ULib module that people would probably like is a warning module. You warn a player, their level escalates. At each level, a specified action happens... for example, it could go in order of first a warning in the center of their screen, then kick them, then ban them for 5 mins, then ban for 1 hour, then perma ban. Their level would "cool off" over time... IE, go down on level every day (unless they're perma banned).
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 03:58:40 AM »
* JamminR chuckles

Megiddo, you mean something like this?
http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,3111.0.html
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline blacksythe

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 07:52:28 AM »
thanks i have both gmod wiki and ulib documentation bookmarked i didnt know of lua reference ill take some time to read it.

My eventual goal is to basically build custom scripts personalised for a new community which i happen to be helping to run. Part of thins goal is a mysql and php backed scripts for a roleplay server

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 08:28:48 AM »
* Megiddo points JamminR to the second post on that thread.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.