ULX

Author Topic: [BROKEN] UMotd Revived - Motd and OTHER informational screens.  (Read 55736 times)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: UMotd Revived - Motd and OTHER informational screens.
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2008, 10:51:22 AM »
Reading through this is it possible to set it up to load the motd from the same computer which also hosts php/html based webpages
If the same server your game server runs on also runs the http server and php parser services, yes.
If you use a dynamic dns (such has http://<your_dyndns_name>. dyndns.org) service, or have http://<your_current_IP>/ , then yes, it could redirect the end viewer.
Any browsing they do will take up any bandwidth you already offer to your game clients.

You wouldn't have to use redirect. Just place the URL in the config of where you want the viewer to view.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2008, 11:17:09 AM »
Scooby, are you using Umotd?
If so, don't make a "help" command. Use "helpme", as I originally had it, or some other command "assistance, guidance, etc".
If you have ULX installed and use Umotd, any command you make will add a ULX menu item

If you are not using Umotd, then.. I have no idea how this could happen. Have you attempted to edit any of the ULX code yourself?
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Sc00by22

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2008, 11:52:16 AM »
Ahh, Thats why then, I changed it to help from helpme

Offline Kingtendo

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2008, 06:25:42 AM »
Can't seem to center Divs and Tables, and whenever i create a table it appears a lot lower down the page than it should do.  ???

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2008, 07:41:36 AM »
When i type ulx help in my console it displays motd instead of the ulx help commands

Paste what you see.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2008, 09:28:32 AM »
Paste what you see.
Megiddo, we found the issue on this.
If the user also runs ULX, the Umotd "ULX helper" module makes each command in Umotd config add itself to the ULX 'help' menu.
Scooby had changed the "helpme" command I have by default to "help", which, over wrote the "ulx help" function.

Can't seem to center Divs and Tables, and whenever i create a table it appears a lot lower down the page than it should do.  ???
I too have noticed this, and believe it is more the way that Gmod/Source handle the html panels than it is something Lua could be used to correct.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 09:31:56 AM by JamminR »

Offline smegy

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 06:07:32 AM »
Hey folks, im having a problem with this, im unsure what the problem is but this is what shows up in console, any suggestions?

Warning: Unhandled usermessage 'UMotdStart'
Warning: Unhandled usermessage 'UMotdText'
Warning: Unhandled usermessage 'UMotdEnd'
Warning: Unhandled usermessage 'SendUMotd'

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2008, 05:08:37 PM »
Hey folks, im having a problem with this, im unsure what the problem is but this is what shows up in console, any suggestions?

What revision of Umotd? Latest?
What type of server? (Listen or dedicated)
Do you have your server configured to send files from your server lua cache to your connecting clients?
Have you restarted your server since you added Umotd, and then reuploaded your cache? (A simple map change won't do)

The error means that the client connecting isn't running the script that sets up those commands.
Does reconnecting work to help it?

Offline smegy

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2008, 07:35:40 AM »
1. Latest
2. Dedicated
3. Umm im unsure of this, and you saying that makes me think that may be the cause, as were having a few problems with files being transfered at the moment
4. Yes
5. No reconnecting doesn't help

Ill work out number 3, and get back to you if that fixed it, thanks :)

Offline smegy

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2008, 01:13:20 PM »
Just posting to let you know that its sorted.. the problem was our downloadurl not working correctly.. one more thing, some of the players and myself crashed when we first started using it, just thought id let you know.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2008, 01:12:18 AM »
I have a suggestion. I think it would be cool to have a dynamic variable %rules% that could read from a txt EX: rules.txt as a table or plane text, so that you could just add %rules% to your motd.
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2008, 04:03:57 PM »
I have a suggestion. I think it would be cool to have a dynamic variable %rules% that could read from a txt EX: rules.txt as a table or plane text, so that you could just add %rules% to your motd.

I understand what you want, but don't think it's a good idea.
That would just be overcomplicating things.
Either change the screen your players see when joining to a rules command, or just add the rules to your motd.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2008, 07:48:38 PM »
The reason I want it, is because I made A script that allows you to add/remove rules from the rules.txt ingame, but I would like those same rules to appear in the Motd.

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 08:13:11 PM »
The reason I want it, is because I made A script that allows you to add/remove rules from the rules.txt ingame, but I would like those same rules to appear in the Motd.
I understand why you want it. I just don't see this as a feature I'd add to the full release. Too few would use it.

If you want, add it yourself for now.
Should only take you one addition.
Find the dynamic variable table in Umotd_server.lua.
Add something like [%%rules%%] = function() local rules = file.Read(<your_file>) return rules end,
I'm not looking at my code right now to remember what the table exactly looks like, but the above line would be similar to what you need.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2008, 05:10:58 AM »
K, I will look into it. Thank you.

==EDIT==
worked great.
Code: [Select]
["%%rules%%"]          = function() return ajoin_rules() end,
Code: [Select]
function ajoin_rules()
local found_rules = file.Read("Umotd/rules2.txt")
return found_rules
end
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:09:03 PM by jay209015 »