Author Topic: UPS - Ulysses Prop Share  (Read 357558 times)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
UPS - Ulysses Prop Share
« on: April 20, 2008, 07:51:32 PM »
Team Ulysses is proud to present our latest and greatest software: Ulysses Prop Share (UPS)

UPS is a prop protection system.

UPS includes features such as:
  • Real fire damage protection. People can't light fire to your stuff using explosives.
  • Friends system, saved by steamid so it carries across servers
  • Don't like hording your stuff? Individual clients can completely disable UPS on their props.
  • Conversely, if you have a player that's a complete nit-wit, you can forcefully disable UPS on his props. This is also saved so be careful!
  • Catches the remover and hydraulic exploits.
  • Powered by ULib. :)
  • Uses CPPI! See http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?t=488410
  • Well documented, modular code that is easy to add to or modify. See http://ulyssesmod.net/UPSDocs for docs (same that's in the source) and the map_protect.lua module for a prime module example.
  • Map protection! Much more robust than current map protectors. Specifies actions allowed on each object based off whether it existed on map load or not. For example, players are allowed to do anything to a map physics entity except delete it, but they can delete it if it was spawned after map load.
  • Client side HUD to tell you who owns what. This can be completely configured by the client.
  • Configuration galore! You'll have to see it to believe it.
UPS requires ULib to function.

Download: http://ulyssesmod.net/archive/UPS/UPS-v1_00.zip
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:34:37 PM by Megiddo »
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: [ALPHA] UPS - Ulysses Prop Share
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 08:02:18 PM »
Well done!  :D

Offline phrostwave

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 11:44:02 PM »
very good, i especially like the part where it cleans up the props (spp doesnt seem to do it anymore). i have found a small bug, though it does not affect the performance of the script, just the client hud i think:

Code: [Select]
ups/modules/cl/hud.lua:137: attempt to call global 'buildCP' (a nil value)

buildCP( GetControlPanel( "UPSHUD" ) )

i am running the latest svn of ulib if that is of any importance.

[edit>>]
seems to have worked itself out, i restarted a few more times and it works great now!

goldstar!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 11:50:18 PM by phrostwave »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:26:09 AM »
Yay! Excellent job Megiddo.
I can't wait to see what UPS can do for us.
Is it brown too?? :P
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline jrwr

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »
Unable to move RT/Reg Cameras, it says they belong to "The Map" right after spawning them, Unable to gain ownership of it
Also Psyhics Props like on that Wire map, the rockets, you should be able to gain owner ship of them
(like if they spawn'd into the map)

Another thing, it doesnt allow me to disable use protection, i would like people to be able to press buttons on my death boxes :)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 04:46:16 PM by jrwr »

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 04:56:47 PM »
Unable to move RT/Reg Cameras, it says they belong to "The Map" right after spawning them, Unable to gain ownership of it
Also Psyhics Props like on that Wire map, the rockets, you should be able to gain owner ship of them
(like if they spawn'd into the map)

Another thing, it doesnt allow me to disable use protection, i would like people to be able to press buttons on my death boxes :)

Can you tell us what maps in particular? What you describe is intended behavior, so I want to see for myself if it's really an issue.

Thanks! I'll look into those other issues ASAP.

Offline jrwr

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 06:48:42 PM »
There are two bugs ive found, A) On Anymap, when i spawn a Cam, Cannot Touch it, Belongs to World, same thing for some other items like keypads, Also if the world object is wielded to a object you own you cant touch it ether

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 09:10:50 PM »
1. Cameras being owned by map, and untouchable.
2. Keypads being owned by map, and untouchable.
3. Wired Hydraulic being owned by map, and untouchable.
4. Wired Weld Latch being owned by map, and untouchable.
5. Wired Winch being owned by map, and untouchable.
6. Spawned weapons being owned by map, and untouchable.

I test every tool/prop/entity that I could spawn and the six errors I
came up with are above.No errors in console, map is gm_wireconstruct.

Great alpha release!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 11:07:16 AM by jay209015 »
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 10:26:56 PM »
1. Cameras being owned by map, and untouchable.
2. Keypads being owned by map, and untouchable.
3. Wired Hydraulic being owned by map, and untouchable.
4. Wired Weld Latch being owned by map, and untouchable.
5. Wired Winch being owned by map, and untouchable.
6. Spawned weapons being owned by map, and untouchable.

I test every tool/prop/entity that I could spawn and the six errors I
came up with are above.No errors in console, map is gm_wireconstruct.

Great alpha release!

Fixed in rev. 17

I could only test #1 and #6, but I assume my fix for #1 applies to numbers 2-5 as well. Thanks for your help!

I like your color scheme on the HUD element there. :)

I assume you mean disabled the use protection separately from the rest of the protection? Global disable should still work. Such individual controls are coming soon.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:30:29 PM by Megiddo »

Offline compuwiz

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 03:18:49 PM »
If you haven't already added it yet (I would check but my computer that can support gmod isn't setup right now), but allow users to make certain props so other users can use them but nothing else, maybe by using the tool gun, or make a tool that you can check the boxes for what you want to allow other players to do to a prop.

Offline spbogie

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 06:08:21 PM »
Allowing per-player, and per-prop settings are planned. Interesting idea with the tool.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison
I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 06:45:28 PM »
Finals are dogging me this and next week. I'll spend what time I can on UPS but no promises. :(

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 07:24:16 PM »
Another thing I'd like to see is an option to toggle use protection. That's something that I liked with spp, and I found another error. I don't know of any damaging effect from it but here it is.

Code: [Select]
Error: Function (Touch) not found! on Scripted Entity (gmod_ghost)

This came up when a player suicided next to one of my props. It spammed the error four time and I can replicate it.

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 08:13:17 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but I've found another bug or two.

<>READ EDIT<>

==EDIT==
 Ok, after further inspection. Umotd breaks UPS by making it so that every non admin can't touch their own props, but they can touch only admin prop.
Players that are connected while Umotd was on the server stayed with the disability mentioned above, but after removing Umotd new players functioned normally, but still the players that were in the server with Umotd are still disabled even after a full server restart. Again no console errors, and all props say up for grabs.
I tested making these disabled users admin, and they were able to touch their props again, but I would really love to use Umotd in the near future :D.
Appears to be a bug you and Jamm have to work on together.

==EDIT==
I threw some images together. BTW Jamm I tried it with jpg, but still doesn't resize the images. You can delete them from the post after Meg is finished with them.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 09:08:37 PM by jay209015 »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 09:03:19 PM »
Though I'm perfectly willing to work with Megiddo ... I'm totally at a loss as to how Umotd would affect _any_ player access to props.
Umotd uses no player access modification. The ULib functions that Umotd use are Ulib.console for error/warning messages, ULib.add_subconcommand, ULib.addSayCommand, and IsSuperAdmin, IsAdmin.

I'm seriously thinking this is coincidence. Not ruling it out mind you, just highly skeptical.

[edit]
Jay, try using the attach file option for your jpgs. The image tag probably doesn't resize. I'm pretty sure attaching makes a thumb. Just a thought.

It's now after midnight my time. I must be up for work by 630am. I'll test tomorrow night on my end. I've not yet tried UPS.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 09:11:04 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming