Author Topic: Vote system  (Read 5813 times)

Offline AviZ

Vote system
« on: May 01, 2008, 11:16:15 PM »
hi,

wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of a vote system, this is what i want to achive.

i run umaps and would like to have a vote system come up for the users to vote to extend the map and on success of the vote to umaps_extend +0 +0 +2 for 2 hours longer

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: Vote system
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 02:28:50 PM »
You could just take a look at the ULX Vote. It has a popup that gives options and teh user needs to press the number on their keyboard that corresponds with the option they wish to vote for.

Offline AviZ

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 02:34:39 AM »
well if i knew lua or knew what im doing with it i would have made something by now and not make a topic for help.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 01:18:07 PM »
Sorry, I just assumed because of the forum you posted in that you were interested in making this yourself. (/sarcasm)

But in all seriousness, what you asked for in your OP was something along the lines of a vote system, and Im pretty sure unless you are asking one of us to do this for you, you wont find anything that automatically does exactly what you want it to do.

Offline AviZ

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 01:23:17 AM »
well can this be done? and how much will it cost?

i mean it cant be that hard...

upon umaps alert cast vote, if success then extend

the thing is i dont know how to do this.

also i would like to see a remote https:// for the ulx users.txt one day for multi servers 1 file for like 5 servers
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:32:32 AM by AviZ »

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 11:51:08 AM »
also i would like to see a remote https:// for the ulx users.txt one day for multi servers 1 file for like 5 servers

As for this, goto the releases section, check up on Umotd.
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 03:32:09 PM »
well can this be done? and how much will it cost?

i mean it cant be that hard...

upon umaps alert cast vote, if success then extend

the thing is i dont know how to do this.

No, it wouldn't be hard. As for cost, well, I'm not offering services. Though your idea is an excellent idea, it may be done by the Umaps author for free some day.
Then again, he's as busy as most other folks here.

Avi, this forum has a 'STEAM_ID' field for donators and other people we've granted access. This steam ID is stored in SQL.
ULib on our game server looks up the steamid of every person who joins. If they're granted access here through our forum, they get whatever access matches on the server.
I understand you're experience, age, patience or lack of time can prevent you from learning, but, having a NEED or WANT is the best motivation to learn anything. Wheter it be Lua, or SQL.
I know enough to be dangerous of several different scripting languages. I know nothing of SQL. I've not found the motivation to learn, other than thinking "I'd like to learn it some day". Some day still hasn't arrived.

Jay, I'm pretty sure he meant multi server, single access look ups. Not just the informational lookup like that of UMotd.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline AviZ

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 06:39:26 PM »
yes i ment maybe addeding something into gbans with the mysql lookup to add users to a global userlist.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 07:09:01 PM »
It's really quite simple to make your own. :)
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 08:40:27 AM »

Jay, I'm pretty sure he meant multi server, single access look ups. Not just the informational lookup like that of UMotd.

Would something in Umotd work like: ["motd"] = "http://yoursite/motd.txt",   ?

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 04:09:28 PM »
Would something in Umotd work like: ["motd"] = "http://yoursite/motd.txt",   ?

Yes, you wouldn't even need 'motd.txt' on that.
However, He wants a single file to grant access for multiple servers. The opposite of UBan - Multi servers, single ban database. But instead, multi servers, single access database.
Umotd only provides information in a visual format, it's not meant to be a multi server ULib user.txt lookup

[EDIT] - Find discussion and SQL/Lua code regarding SMF forums => our Gmod server here - http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,3241.0.html
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 04:29:00 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 09:24:04 PM »
Oh ok, now I see. I read his post wrong.

Offline AviZ

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 11:48:52 PM »
so... does anyone want to make a voting system for extending maps?

Offline spbogie

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 09:03:38 AM »
I have just over a week of school left, after which I'll have much more time to spend on other stuff. Since there appears to be interest, I will likely be doing a full rewrite of UMaps at that time.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison
I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage

Offline AviZ

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 10:19:38 PM »
great stuff, its used alot and stops snapshot overflows!