Author Topic: PlayerTitle [v1.2] - A name and title display module  (Read 49401 times)

Offline DiscoBiscuit

• DiscoBuild
Re: PlayerTitle [v1.2] - A name and title display module
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2009, 04:01:45 PM »
I can say from testing it only half works with SVN ulib and ULX.
The actual names work but the !title and !mytitle functions do not, nor do they through console.

Offline LiveTrash

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 06:49:13 PM »
The link http//www.gmodsauce.com/staticfiles/releases/playertitle11.zip is broken. Redirects to a WikiPedia page about HyperText Transfer Protocol. Is there a page that has this download available?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »
See http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,3487.msg16984.html#msg16984
Other than the already provided information and not necessarily helpful yet links.. no.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline LiveTrash

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 11:40:46 AM »
Too bad, it's a nice addon. I'll have to see if I can just get it off one of my friends. He has it on his server.

Offline lavacano201014

• Archbishop of Cristina Scabbia worship
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »
I have the files on my server now. And from it's behavior, the only thing that seems to need changed is the new functions for !title and !mytitle.

If someone could tell me the syntaxes for the new functions (and their old counterparts), I can fix this.
Circle reasoning works because circle reasoning works because...

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 06:36:13 PM »
Directly, the ULib portions that even ULX relies on for all it's commands, most of them can be found here - http://ulyssesmod.net/docs/files/lua/ULib/shared/commands-lua.html

I've never looked at the code of player title to know how close it is to ULX originally.
However, for a perfect example of ULX command system "before and after", see MrPresident's "ulx explode" in the releases section.
The original post has code for the old non-SVN ULX.
The last page or so, look for my post with an attachment which I practiced converting it.

To me, the new command system looked scary at first... however, once I realized it was just treating each 'function' as an object, then allowing various checks on the options/variables/input of that function command setup instead of the function itself checking every time...it became clear, and in my opinion, much less convoluted.
The way we have the command system now, you can spend time on writing the function, instead of sanity checking the input to the function. The command system does most of the checking for you.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline lavacano201014

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2009, 12:07:20 PM »
Done.

Two files are attached.

The zip file is the addon in it's entirety if you don't have it. This one is edited for the SVN.

The lone Lua file is the replacement file, if you have the addon already. Replace lua/ulx/modules/playertitle.lua

[ Changes ]
 * Reflects new command system
 * Quotes are no longer needed! But you can still use them if you want (call it legacy support)
 * Made the comments pure Lua.

[ Known Limitations ]
 - !mytitle isn't doing anything. It SHOULD be echoing, but it isn't.
 - !settitle doesn't echo back when you change someone else's title. It still changes, however.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2009, 03:32:07 PM »
Nice conversion.
I've no idea if you like to tinker like I do but if your interested there can be more cleanup of code to use the new command system.
Certain checks are done within the functions that very well could be done (or removed because they're already done) by the command set up.
Please don't take that as criticism... it's sometimes difficult to tell in a 2d text world.
I mean to simply state that if you're in a tweaking mood that it can still be done, including fixing of the echo logs.
If you want some more assistance, feel free to post the lua file in the developers corner forum area with questions/comments/snide remarks. :P

I like exercising my mind ... small bits like this help.

Offline vader0146

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:50:20 PM by vader0146 »

Offline NaRyan

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2010, 11:04:40 AM »
Does anyone have a working link to the non svn version of this?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2010, 12:09:36 PM »
NaRyan, Vader's link in the post above yours is non-SVN command structure.

Offline lavacano201014

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2010, 03:47:36 PM »
- !mytitle isn't doing anything. It SHOULD be echoing, but it isn't.

Found the problem here. I apparently didn't capitalize an L in ULib.

Since I can't upload the file in question (outside my normal environment atm), I would like to ask all those who downloaded my fix'd up version to find the line in lua/ulx/modules/playertitle.lua where it says something like:
Code: [Select]
title:setDefaultAccess(Ulib.ACCESS_ALL)and capitalize the L in ULib.

(if it helps, searching for "local title = " in the code will put you a line or three above it)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:49:21 PM by lavacano201014 »

Offline TheDuck

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2010, 02:59:15 AM »
Hi everybody!

I need help with ulx plugin called PlayerTitle. I see many servers with this working, but cannot get it work on my server. I have checked the settings and they are correct. The problem is that any title commands (!title, !mytitle) doesnt work. I have tried to userallow and groupallow ulx title, playertitle etc. but didnt work. I see playernames which are also in the addon, so only titles wont work.

Any ideas?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2010, 03:42:10 PM »
Duck, if you have SVN of ULX, read the past few posts. Lavacano made a version for SVN, and another user I think corrects a line in it.
If you don't have svn of ULX, then it's possible you downloaded the SVN version of Playertitle.
The command structure of ULX svn is totally different. Most of the releases here are for non-svn.
Several of them have posts in later pages where the community or devs have made SVN versions. Just have to look for them.

What errors occur starting the server when this module attempts to load?
What errors occur when you try to run any of the commands.

Offline TheDuck

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2010, 01:25:42 AM »
Oh thank you, didnt really read these messages carefully... I just downloaded vader's version. I have ulx svn so that other worked fine. Thanks!