ULX

Author Topic: URestrict(WIP)  (Read 8608 times)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: URestrict(WIP)
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 12:19:47 AM »
 - No idea, but if it had all the stools already, you'd have to set all the groups to have access to all the tools. This way you can either complete restrict a tool, or just allow a few groups

Why not just default to the garry-behavior for stools?
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 08:16:13 AM »
Why not just default to the garry-behavior for stools?
     - What do you mean?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 10:23:13 AM by jay209015 »
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 10:32:14 AM »
Ok, Just about finished up with the script. The gui only has one tab left to go, and that's the view settings tab, so you can see what all is set like: what groups are allowed to use what, and what loadout preset does the groups belong to ect....

New Images :

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 05:13:25 AM »
Added some feedback, so you'll know what groups are allowed/restricted ect..

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 07:59:51 AM »
I keep saying this... but...

I still think the gui is hard to understand. Are the four groups (operator, superadmin, admin, user) static? If so, why not list the tool with four checkboxes off to the side? I think the feedback on what's already allowed and not is a big improvement, but I want to get a full overview without having to click anything (scrolling's okay though).

Don't take this the wrong way, I just play Devil's advocate as much as possible when giving feedback. Otherwise, great job! You've got a real knack for gui's.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 01:01:25 PM »
I still think the gui is hard to understand. Are the four groups (operator, superadmin, admin, user) static?
     -No, they are pulled from ULib.ucl.groups
I think the feedback on what's already allowed and not is a big improvement, but I want to get a full overview without having to click anything (scrolling's okay though).
     -A full overview will be added, as mentioned in a previous post.
Don't take this the wrong way, I just play Devil's advocate as much as possible when giving feedback.
     -That works for me. That's the only way to improve :D
You've got a real knack for gui's.
     -I wish it came easily, but it takes alot of hard work.
If so, why not list the tool with four checkboxes off to the side?
     -I don't know how to do convars.

Going to add feedback to the Loadout tab, release, then take a break from this script until this weekend, and then add the View Settings tab.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 07:30:11 PM »
From an end user point of view, I have trouble understanding what's happening in the menus also.

Are server side cvars that difficult? There's a create cvar command, correct?
No extra file is needed to store the actual settings, right? Aren't they stored in some Gmod server file by default?
I've done no Derma or Vgui coding at all. (Umotd is 100% ripped from Megiddo's original motd client code)
I admit, I could be just smoking something since I've not ever dug into it.
I'd share if I could.

I think Checkboxes would be easier for some of those functions you now have menu popups for.
Perhaps looking into UPS options area would give some insight to how to do them.
(I know it's where I'd start. :) )
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 09:34:09 PM »
Haha, the UPS controls are pretty complicated though. I'm creating synchronized cvars on the client and server. When a client who has access changes a synchronized client cvar, it's changed on the server. The other clients receive this server cvar change and update their client cvars in response. Luckily all you need to know is what function to call to make a synchronized cvar. :P

This was necessary because clients can't normally change server cvars, but the derma checkboxes demand a cvar they can change to work properly.