ULX

Author Topic: ULX Radial Menu  (Read 14677 times)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
ULX Radial Menu
« on: January 20, 2009, 08:22:37 PM »
This is a client side addon that adds a new menu for ULX; a radial menu! When you're looking near someone and trigger the bind +ulxradial (and hold the button down!), your view will lock onto the player and you'll get a radial menu with a few key commands. To execute a command, simply move the mouse toward the area of the command you want to execute. To cancel, leave the mouse in the center area.

See attachment for download. You must be registered with the forum to see attachments.

Key things to remember:
  • This is a client side addon. Don't whine when you install it to a server and it doesn't work.
  • You need to be looking near someone for the bind (+ulxradial) to do anything.
  • You need to hold the button down. When you release the button, a command will execute (or cancel if you leave it in the center).
  • If you have any knowledge of lua at all, you can modify the table at the top of the file to make the menu have whatever commands you want.
  • This is a ulx addon; It won't load if the server doesn't have ulx.

Yes this menu's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it gets the job done. If someone wants to make it cooler looking and re-release, do so with my blessing (just give credit to me for the original!).

I realize that there's some cool things that I could have done with the menu that I didn't, I want to gauge reception to this idea before I spend more than a few hours with it.

Thanks to Jay or spbogie for giving me this idea. (I don't remember which of you it was..)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:40:39 PM by Megiddo »
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: ULX Radial Menu
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 10:41:23 PM »
As requested by Mr. President, you don't have to be looking directly at a player for the bind to work anymore, just near them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:29:07 AM by Megiddo »

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »
Thanks to Jay or spbogie for giving me this idea. (I don't remember which of you it was..)
     - Me :D
You need to be looking near someone for the bind (+ulxradial) to do anything.
     - What if there are multiple people in the area? Does is execute on the person closest to where you are looking?

Also, something that would be cool would be if you look at a prop instead of a player, you get the option to remove prop, remove all owners props, ect...
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 12:25:22 PM »
     - Me :D     - What if there are multiple people in the area? Does is execute on the person closest to where you are looking?

Also, something that would be cool would be if you look at a prop instead of a player, you get the option to remove prop, remove all owners props, ect...

It locks onto the person nearest to the angle you're looking in. Guess I should have put some priority on closeness too...

As far as props, that sounds like something that would be better suited for UPS.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 03:07:57 PM »
Great work Megiddo.
Once you get some more finalization to it with the ideas being suggested, I recommend release to the zooFacepunch Studios releases area.
I mean, we do seem to have GUI competition now. Let's show the doubters that we've been 'admin mod must allow for plugins' compliant for much longer, and that GUI could have been added if only someone would have taken the time long ago instead of reinventing the wheel. :)
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline ahref

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 03:33:39 PM »
some transparency on the menu would be nice so you can see the player behind the menu but i think i can mess with that myself.

nice idea and keeps the flow of gameplay going rather then stopping and having to go through the menu and find the player that you want to kick. especially good for those people who have the weird characters áéí etc

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 05:44:13 PM »

I definitely like the idea of this.. Partial Transparency on the menu items would be nice, as long as it doesnt hinder the application of the program.

I will definately be using this to moderate my servers. =)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 10:24:02 AM »
How about this?

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 12:04:26 PM »
smaller radius, less opacity, and something besides green for the lines and it's all good for me :D

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline ahref

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 02:15:45 PM »
that looks great :D

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 02:36:09 PM »
Have the other options 'grey out'/become unusable  (with exception of kick/cancel) if a player is already exclusive?
Have the buttons automatically change to thier opposite action if exclusivity is set?

Your example shows both Freeze and Unfreeze (taking up two menu slots).
No unjail.
However, if a player is jailed, they can't be frozen too, so make 'Unjail' appear in Jail's place and grey out the other options.

I've not yet looked at the code to see the challenge in that. I just like the 'purty' pictures.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline ahref

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 04:12:47 PM »
heres my attempt:

Still working on it im using Night Eagle's Circle Drawing to get the circles.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 09:00:42 PM »
I like it!

Offline Samusaaron3

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 11:37:51 AM »
Unknown command: +ulxradial
Unknown command: -ulxradial

Yes, I did install it on my computer, not on a server.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 12:08:46 PM »
Unknown command: +ulxradial
Unknown command: -ulxradial

Yes, I did install it on my computer, not on a server.

You didn't install it correctly or you didn't restart your client (complete restart).