Author Topic: Just how dumb do they think we are?  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Just how dumb do they think we are?
« on: January 30, 2009, 06:58:19 AM »
Got this message on Steam friends today.

Friday, January 30, 2009
8:58 AM - :: Due to recent hack attempts we are monitoring steam accounts VERY closely. We have noticed 2 different IP addresses logged into your account recently. In order to verify that YOU are the correct owner we require you to log in (http://verificationsteam.tk). Once you log in your IP will verify who you are and will be set to your steam account.

Do not enter your steam information into that site, it is a hoax
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
Re: Just how dumb do they think we are?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:40:17 AM »
Lol, I did it and sent the fake info :D
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 03:28:18 PM »
It's not so much those types of messages that bother me... it's knowing that people DO fall for it that bothers me more.
15 years now working in tech industry, and security related to it, have shown me... social engineering is almost always the first way in..any door, virtual or real.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 05:56:03 PM »
It would seem that the site was shut down already.

I got a message from someone pretending to be from VAC a few days ago asking for my e-mail and password to verify my account... It was pretty funny, I love those people because I know it's not true. Im pretty sure at the top of the message window it even says in bold letters that steam employees would never ask for that info. So what do I do? I lead them on.. ask all kinds of questions and seem genuinely concerned and interested in what they have to say. Then about 5 minutes into the conversation I give them my info.. which is usually along the lines of:

E-Mail: Go@****yourself.com
password: Imnotthatretarded!!

The guy just laughed at me and I blocked contact with him. Priceless.. =)