ULX

Author Topic: Hosting a dedicated game server? I have a secret to tell you.  (Read 3468 times)

Offline atomicspark

Hosting a dedicated game server? I have a secret to tell you.
« on: August 16, 2009, 03:11:51 PM »
If you're hosting any custom content on your server, enabling sv_downloadurl is a great way to speed up downloads for your clients.

"But AtomicSpark, I'm hosting my dedicated game server from home and/or I don't have a VPS to host my sv_downloadurl files!"

Fear not! My little secret is DropBox. What's DropBox?

Dropbox is the easiest way to store, sync, and, share files online. There's no complicated interface to learn. Dropbox works seamlessly with your operating system and automatically makes sure your files are up-to-date. Available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

tl;dr, DropBox is an awesome, secure, and easy way to share files online. The best part is that they don't restrict how you use their service. They won't flip out like most shared web hosts about storing non-website files. Perfect for sv_downloadurl.

"Now AtomicSpark, you can't trick me. I saw that referral code!"

Yes! The best part is that if you sign up using my referral code, we'll both get an extra 250 MB of space! Their referral system is the only reason why I'm sharing my little secret with you.

Convinced? Visit: https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTEyNzA5MTk5

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Hosting a dedicated game server? I have a secret to tell you.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »
Personally, I don't trust 3rd party tools which share my files.
They have to make money somewhere, usually selling information about my habits.

I don't care to have the world know about my self-picked booger collection.  :D
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline atomicspark

Re: Hosting a dedicated game server? I have a secret to tell you.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 04:41:09 PM »
They claim your files are encrypted and they make money by selling more space. I'm paranoid about tracking too. You know I wouldn't suggest a scam. They even recently changed it so that it only keeps the last 30 days of changes on basic accounts. That (and the fact that all the files are public anyways) made me consider using them for sv_downloadurl.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 04:45:17 PM by atomicspark »