ULX

Author Topic: Problems with Admin scripting  (Read 1945 times)

Offline gmodman

Problems with Admin scripting
« on: December 10, 2009, 10:31:05 AM »
Sorry to bother you guys but Ive recently downloaded a pack of ULIB and ULX latest from http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=83520

The problem is I'm sure that you set the admin use in the group.doc
Can someone show me how to set the admins because it has changed since last time and its bloody annoying the outta me, everytime i go on my server i type !menu and it says " you do not have permission to do this ".

can anybody tell me where i need to install it on my server and what the admin script is and where it is located and what it looks like?

sorry for the bother to you guys, its just i cant figure out whats wrong, a textfile of what and where to do it in the ulx and ulib packs would be nice, an instruction manual.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: Problems with Admin scripting
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 10:44:08 AM »
You are no bother... We're here to help people with legitimate questions.

1. Do you have a dedicated server? If yes.. then while you are in the game.. go to your server console and run the following command.
ulx adduser gmodman superadmin/admin/whatevergroup

or if you aren't in the game go to your console and type

ulx adduserid gmodman superadmin STEAM_0:0:12345342    <-- obviously substitute your own Steam ID... :-\

2. If it is a listen server then you are already an admin.... :-/

3. If you do not have access to your dedicated server console... you can always edit the default users.txt file in garrysmod/settings/users.txt Garry does a pretty good job of explaining how to edit this.

YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER Edit the users.txt file that ULX creates.. EVER EVER EVER... unless you REALLY know what you are doing.. did I mention.. EVER?

Offline gmodman

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 10:51:23 AM »
it is a dedicated server with ukgame.co.uk, so when im on my server i type;

ulx adduser Huntersaurus superadmin/admin/Superadmin

so we just install ulx and ulib and not change it at all? all console based?

would that work?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:07:52 AM by gmodman »

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »
No, you need to type that from the dedicated console. If you have RCon access you can use that from your game console or download a 3rd party app like HLSW.

make sure when you type in the group you just do the one you want.. so like..

ulx adduser Huntersaurus superadmin

That's the beauty of ULX. It was designed to be 100% console based. The gui was an afterthought.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 05:56:54 PM »
All; I wouldn't consider that download from garrysmod.org safe.
Team Ulysses rarely if ever use garrysmod.com anymore for official releases.
Sure, it very well may have nothing changed or be wrong with it, but, unless we (Megiddo, JamminR, spbogie,  jay209015, Stickly Man) link to it from here at the forums... it may not be safe to use.

And, as MrPresident said, and we've said hundreds of times in ulx_readme, FAQs and forum postings...adduser should be run from SERVER console or rcon if you've not followed the Garrys mod and ulx readme for adding yourself as admin.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming