ULX

Author Topic: Forced Downloads Taking Forever, How Do I Force Addon Weapons?  (Read 4328 times)

Offline Prizim

Forced Downloads Taking Forever, How Do I Force Addon Weapons?
« on: December 15, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
Posted this is another part of the forums earlier, realized it was in the wrong section. Reposting:
Hello. I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I'm starting my own buildRP server, and I want to force the downloads of the weapons (ep2 sniper, and a few others, nothing too big), and when people start to download it, the info.txt files take forever. I looked around, and found that I can't just add full addons. I removed the info.txt files and then the .vtf files took forever (mind you, this isn't 2-minutes-for-one-file-forever, this is forever-forever). So how do I add addon-weapons as forced downloads? I mainly want people to see them and use them. Thank you for reading/possibly helping.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Forced Downloads Taking Forever, How Do I Force Addon Weapons?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 06:22:16 PM »
sv_downloadurl
Downloading anything but lua text files directly from the game server is too slow, and to be honest, even the lua files in my opinion can take too long
(When joining a server with much custom content.. I waited 10 minutes for only 400 lua files one time)
If  you're running a dedicated server, most hosts also offer a website, or charge little additional for http.
Bzip your packs... upload them to the web host.

[Also, sorry if you've read this and are now replying (see you in the currently reading list) ... our FAQ section has how to use forceddownloads regarding addons too]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:36:36 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 08:08:24 PM »
Only problem with sv downloadurl is that it's a pain to update every time you change a lua script...
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Prizim

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 09:00:38 PM »
I can't thank you enough for the help. I added the sv_downloadurl to my config file, and hopefully it'll work. I really appreciate the prompt reply.

EDIT: One more thing, and this might not be your department...I am using it for a darkrp server, and I can't get the admin configurations to stick...every time the server restarts, it goes back to normal. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:03:21 PM by Prizim »

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 09:08:28 PM »
I can't thank you enough for the help. I added the sv_downloadurl to my config file, and hopefully it'll work. I really appreciate the prompt reply.

EDIT: One more thing, and this might not be your department...I am using it for a darkrp server, and I can't get the admin configurations to stick...every time the server restarts, it goes back to normal. Any suggestions?

He might be using the garry method of saving convars, which only saves on a successful server shutdown (that is, not a crash).
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 09:14:59 PM »
Also Prizim, remember, you have to have an http server available, and host the files you want downloaded on it.
That tutorial I link to summarizes it quickly. Use google for much more information.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Prizim

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 09:35:26 PM »
Also Prizim, remember, you have to have an http server available, and host the files you want downloaded on it.
That tutorial I link to summarizes it quickly. Use google for much more information.

Oh. So the ftp thing my server company gave me won't work?

Offline Prizim

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »
So I tried going into my server.cfg and setting the sv_downloadurl to what I want, but nothing downloads now. First of all, I used an ftp:// type of site, and I'm not sure if that works with this. (MammothGames, the company I use, said it would work for custom files), but it still doesn't force any downloads. Do I have to set anything up in ULX to force it? Or does FTP just not work for this kind of thing?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 03:51:58 PM »
FTP won't work for Gmod/Source downloads, BUT, your host probably has a path that you ftp files to, then access through http://<something.com/<username> or <yourname.mammoth.com> etc.
Check their help site.

Offline Prizim

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 04:11:19 PM »
FTP won't work for Gmod/Source downloads, BUT, your host probably has a path that you ftp files to, then access through http://<something.com/<username> or <yourname.mammoth.com> etc.
Check their help site.

OK, I see what I have to do now. It should work from here-on-out. Once again, thank you so much.