Author Topic: Rock the vote + Nominate addon  (Read 3826 times)

Offline tgp1994

• TGPServ
    • TGPServ Forums
Rock the vote + Nominate addon
« on: October 25, 2010, 12:44:29 PM »
I think it would be nice to see a nominate module for ULX, along with an official rock the vote module.

For those who don't know, nominate and rtv originally came from the Sourcemod addon for source servers, (at least, that's what I'm basing it from) giving users more control over what maps they want to go to.

During any round, users can type !nominate, and be presented with a menu containing a list of maps that they can nominate into the Rock the Vote list. Then, during the round, when a user types rtv or !rtv, they are then given a menu (note that I'm saying menu, and not console dump ;)) containing the selected maps (plus randomly chosen ones to fill extra space) giving users the ability to vote on what map they want to play on next. Rtv will allow you to limit the amount of maps displayed based on your preference, and you can just choose to stay on the current map.

Also, the entire map voting system has its own map category subsystem, where you can choose groups of maps for specific purposes. I.E I could have nominate pull maps from the maplist.txt file, and have rtv only choose another set list of maps.

If something like my above suggestions could be implemented into ULX, that would be great.

~Tgp1994

Offline tgp1994

• TGPServ
    • TGPServ Forums
Re: Rock the vote + Nominate addon
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 08:53:08 PM »
Any thoughts?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 09:40:41 PM »
Good module idea perhaps, but I'm not of the impression this should be added to ULX code base directly.
RTV has been suggested here before and I believe your ideas place a new spin on it.
As for more than dumping to a console, we do and always will provide a means of server administration without a GUI.
We are first and foremost an administration mod that can be run from a dedicated console or hosting control panel... no GUI.
The GUI Megiddo wrote, and the new one Stickly Man is working on, are in addition to console commands.
One of Stickly Man's major tasks we placed on him was that every thing that can be done in his menu, must be able to performed in console commands. (Even chat commands are second priority and not required)
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline tgp1994

• TGPServ
    • TGPServ Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 09:43:32 PM »
Well, I hope someone or a group of people will take it upon themselves to make a mod like the one I suggested :)

And I know ULX's goal is to be GUI-less, I was just suggesting that for the module, it would be mainly gui.

Offline riki137

• lol wuttermelon
    • SapphireWebsites
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:35:39 AM »
Well, I hope someone or a group of people will take it upon themselves to make a mod like the one I suggested :)

And I know ULX's goal is to be GUI-less, I was just suggesting that for the module, it would be mainly gui.
Not GUI-less,
i think the goal was to have everything in console.

Offline tgp1994

• TGPServ
    • TGPServ Forums
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »
Not GUI-less,
i think the goal was to have everything in console.

Hence being GUI-Less :)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 06:54:20 PM »
We don't want to be GUIless.
We want the best of both worlds.
But, all ULX commands written within our team must be accessible through console so that dedicated server owners using their web control panel, HLSW, or hlds console, can access ULX without joining the game using the GUI. :)
Any GUI after that is just icing on the cake, and Stickly Man took on the task of icing, candles, decorations, extra tiers, etc etc etc. :)
Modules can be written by other community members that may require GUI, but, we don't recommend it of course.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline tgp1994

• TGPServ
    • TGPServ Forums
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 07:50:47 PM »
Well, I continue to look forward to someone making a GUI for the map voting system :)