ULX

Author Topic: Data storing system.  (Read 2296 times)

Offline EraYaN

• -EraYaN-
    • EraYaN
Data storing system.
« on: January 05, 2011, 08:00:57 AM »
Hello,

Is seams the ULib/ULX still uses text based file everywhere. Wouldn't it be better to at least use some sort of RDBMS. Like a locally installed MySQL/PostgreSQL/MSQL server or a remote one?

So bans/users/groups could easily be shared, in a community.

Also a ban system that supports more than 10000 ban "without" performance drop would be sweet. (and the possibility to have em all like ULX "detailed" bans). So the server just looks the records up on player connect (Only for that player). So it doesn't have to parse all the bans on start up.

Also the database module wrapper should be usable by other module of course.

Maybe implement those features in a C++ library for speed's sake.

Because Databases are made to handle lots of data. You could even use the more advanced features like forgeign keys. (for the admins who banned a player for example) or just a player list and then log all commands done on that player. Bans added for that player. Warnings issued. And things like that. And you're all great developers, so I know you can do it, the only thing is.. time.

Sincerely,

EraYaN
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:25:18 AM by EraYaN »
-EraYaN-

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: Data storing system.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 08:44:28 AM »
While there is no native support for using SQL as a datasource, our system was built with it it mind. I didn't include this by default because we wanted to make everything as simple as possible for the server admins, and people tend to want specialized SQL integration (EG, with forums).

Although it doesn't work with the SVN version of ULib, you could take a look at how we integrated ULib with our SMF forums in the past: http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,3241.msg9622.html#msg9622.

We do have an addon to store bans in a MySQL table, if you'd like to check that out.

Otherwise, I agree with you, MySQL is a very powerful tool and fits really well with ULib and ULX, it just wasn't something we were willing to support when we first designed ULib and ULX (but we tried to make it easy to do it yourself!).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:46:32 AM by Megiddo »
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline EraYaN

• -EraYaN-
    • EraYaN
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:04:34 AM »
Aaw, the do-it-your-self part makes if difficult. But I will see what I can produce. Hopefully I get the module compiling thing working.
-EraYaN-

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 04:05:54 PM »
EraYan, thanks for your input. Good luck with the SQL ideas. Perhaps you can release some ULib mods that build upon what is already here.

Though we try to keep it simple, if you take a look around the forums, many seem to not even understand editing the simple Gmod settings/users.txt file. (Many still put // in front of thier username, even though (probably) hundreds of sites, and the Gmod wiki, say not to)
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming