ULX

Author Topic: Some things should be implemented from other mods(just ideas,not direct copying)  (Read 3471 times)

Offline Ronin

You guyes really need to see this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfQaBpXvoLo

The chat should be modified to something like that and the console box, it just looks so nice :D Adding Xgui is only the first part.

And then from evolve...  Well, there the notification of when someone is typing should be implemented...  Not to mention a little hud or something on top of peoples heads, and it could be optional whether to turn that off or not.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:08:26 AM by Ronin »

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Chat autocomplete is something we've talked about on the team before, and it remains an option, but definitely not for the upcoming release. I think we're all a little wary of modifying a default ui element like that. ULX remains one of the lightest-weight admin mods in terms of impact it has on a server, and we'd like to keep it that way.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline krooks

• I don't like video games.
    • Diamond Krooks
I'm not official ULX anything here, I don't even know lua, but I do know that that video showed nothing I need or want lol

As far as knowing when people chat, try "chat bubbles" from garrysmod.org. It's amazing.
On that same note, AntiAFK with auto kick turned off is another great addon to show when people are afk.
My TTT server. Join the fun!

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Ronin, Thanks for your input.
The features you suggest, though all nice, are a bit 'over the top' for what ULX is meant to be, an administration mod.
Many other 'administration' mods try to be everything, and then fail miserably due to that.
We allow modules, and our releases section has many, that allow ULX to be customized without requiring us or the end user to worry about a custom chat box (just for this example) breaking any other mod that relies on chat hooks.
I've seen it too many times, and a few, even blamed ULX, for those chat hook breakages.

Perhaps, if we ever do, once the SVN goes release, we and our community here will have more time to focus on additions to ULX.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Ronin

Ronin, Thanks for your input.
The features you suggest, though all nice, are a bit 'over the top' for what ULX is meant to be, an administration mod.
Many other 'administration' mods try to be everything, and then fail miserably due to that.
We allow modules, and our releases section has many, that allow ULX to be customized without requiring us or the end user to worry about a custom chat box (just for this example) breaking any other mod that relies on chat hooks.
I've seen it too many times, and a few, even blamed ULX, for those chat hook breakages.

Perhaps, if we ever do, once the SVN goes release, we and our community here will have more time to focus on additions to ULX.
Ah yes, actually when I made this post I was kind of thinking if someone would make it into an addon format instead, just incase if problems arised.  It would be perfect.

I would love to make something similar myself, but I really don't have the expertise yet to delve into it, to make the neccessary animations and script for the autocomplete in the chat...  Would love to contribute to ulx one of these days though, haha thats why I always check the suggestions place.

However, as a sidenote, how do people blame ulx for chat-command related problems?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:15:23 PM by Ronin »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
If you ever want to take on more lua, and of course even more so the ULib functions ULX uses, by all means, we like the Developers discussion area of our forums.

However, as a sidenote, how do people blame ulx for chat-command related problems?
Usually, I've seen where people come straight here when any chat command they're trying to use stops working.
!<command> blah.

More often than not, its been another admin mod combined with a custom chat box that, rather than just returning gracefully when it doesn't recognize ULX ! say commands as one of it's own it doesn't return gracefully to the chat hook, and kills all others, including ULX's.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming