Author Topic: Assistance with basic LUA.  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Zombie

Assistance with basic LUA.
« on: April 01, 2011, 01:37:03 AM »
First of all hi, I'm unfamiliar with LUA coding and also know very little about Ulib and how to handle data within it.

However i do have experience coding so i feel that the learning curve exists but would not be as steep as with someone entirely unfamiliar.  :D

I'm trying to modify a script to better handle the tasks i need doing. It's a simple rewrite of the auto promote script found in the releases section of this forum. (Due to the fact that i haven't asked the creators permission, I don't intent to release it at all)

Step One:

Each players score (found in the SUI scoreboard addon) will have a score that will effect global variables (unsure of LUA terminology so be gentle please). for example love will have a value in "player.nice" of "1".

So if a player has 5 love, then that gives them a value of "player.nice = 5"

However if a player also has like, as well as love. then they're score will be the sum of those values.

Like being 0.5, so 5 points in like will result in a total of 7.5

Step Two

Secondly, i intent to modify the autopromote script to handle peoples ranks based on those global values instead.

which can be found here:  http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,3826.0.html

Thanks in advance to anyone who attempts to help me, I genuinely appreciate the assistance.

Any questions, just feel free to ask me to either iterate or define my query.
You can also find me on Skype and steam and any other platform you prefer.

[TL:DR]
Can you help me modify a mod please? thanks.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: Assistance with basic LUA.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:22:48 PM »
Generally you won't find people willing to partner with you on a project here, but if you have specific problems we can usually help you out.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Assistance with basic LUA.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 06:53:40 PM »
If not so much willing, then definitely more not able. Many of us are willing, we're just already extremely busy.
You're posts would be better asking specific questions about what you're having trouble learning or understanding within the code you are trying to modify/use/whatever.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming