ULX

Author Topic: URS BETA - A Highly Customizeable Restriction System (or will be)  (Read 535211 times)

Offline Aaron113

Re: URS BETA - A Highly Customizeable Restriction System (or will be)
« Reply #465 on: March 13, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
It's entirely possible, but I'm not aware of any existing scripts.  That gets too in depth for what I want URS at right now.

Offline Aaron113

« Reply #466 on: March 13, 2015, 05:22:59 PM »
I updated the workshop version with a recent better working version.  I was getting complaints about the workshop version that have already been fixed on github.

Offline Aaron113

« Reply #467 on: March 16, 2015, 08:59:22 PM »
Some of you know I plan on recoding the GUI of URS to make it easier to use.  So I was just kinda going through some ideas of what I can do and am just looking for feedback and ideas before I start.  So far I am not fond of the back button idea.  It will just make things slower and harder to use.

Yes, I did use paint...  haha

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Pictures/urs_gui_mockup_ideas.png?_subject_uid=50945661&w=AACF0534HsWPI67HgynrCXNQEBVfeVQ1Sy98LQ9ylQRCUA
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:04:17 PM by Aaron113 »

Offline Aaron113

« Reply #468 on: March 18, 2015, 03:03:42 PM »
The hook priority changes to ULib broke most of URS, so I just pushed a quick fix.  Please update if you are having problems with stuff saying it's restricted but still lets you spawn it.

EDIT:  4 posts in a row!  I don't think merging them would be a good idea :S
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:05:22 PM by Aaron113 »

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
« Reply #469 on: March 19, 2015, 08:23:07 AM »
Combo breaker! ;D

Just curious, how did the hook changes break URS? It seems that we are at least clamping the priorities to -2 to 2, so in your case, -10 would have become HOOK_MONITOR_HIGH, (which would behave like -20). Was that a little too high priority?

(I'm asking to help others fix their scripts if they break, and we're wanting to petition the new hooks to be included in Gmod by default) :P
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline Aaron113

« Reply #470 on: March 19, 2015, 08:29:39 AM »
Anything higher than 1 or lower than negative 1 in hook priority will not let you return a value.  I have to return a bool on every hook, so simply putting this between the two fixed it.

EDIT:  I'm also going to be changing it to a low priority.  This lets other scripts run first so URS can return true in some situations (returning true stops any other functions that are hooked from running).  An example is Falco's Prop Protection.  I can't return true to overwrite sbox limits, because then FPP will not run and URS will let restricted props be spawned.  If I set the hook to a low priority, it runs after FPP does and just fixes all my problems.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:30:21 AM by Aaron113 »

Offline Aaron113

« Reply #471 on: March 25, 2015, 08:08:46 PM »
So update on what I'm working on...

I have almost completely recoded URS.  Entirely new data structure (might tweak more depending on some feedback).  I have made a converter, so you will not have to worry about any lost data.  Almost every command got rewritten because how i was doing them before was completely opposite.  The best new features make URS even more customizable.  I added inverting for restrictions, which basically makes it a whitelist instead of a blacklist.  You will have access to make limits unlimited.  You will have access to make certain limits be able to go over sbox while others not.  The best change is the new GUI I'm working on.  I hate GUI work, so this is taking me some time.  In the front it hasn't changed much, but it isn't going to be half done like the other one was.  It is still very early and will likely get tweaked as i go, but this is it so far...

Eventually, it will have every possible option on it.  You will never have to type in a command again, which is what most users love.

What I really want opinions/feedback on is the possible new data structure I've been working on.  I'm not sure it's the best route, but unsure of any better alternatives.

I plan to release a dev version on github at some point as i don't want to push it out and get screwed in the end.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #472 on: March 26, 2015, 03:43:40 PM »
Looking Nice!
For those of us who visualize the Gmod "matrix" in ascii text without having to tie into the construct's video converters, please make sure that if someone needs to, text commands can be used.
(Non-Matrix-esque translation - make sure those of us who rarely see the actual GUI of the game, albeit through host consoles, or whatever, can still make adjustments. :)
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Aaron113

« Reply #473 on: March 29, 2015, 12:24:24 AM »
Looking Nice!
For those of us who visualize the Gmod "matrix" in ascii text without having to tie into the construct's video converters, please make sure that if someone needs to, text commands can be used.
(Non-Matrix-esque translation - make sure those of us who rarely see the actual GUI of the game, albeit through host consoles, or whatever, can still make adjustments. :)
I'm assuming you basically just mean console commands?  That's how everything works in the background, just no easy way to display the table in console at the moment.  You would have to use lua_run.  I'll add something to print to console later.

Also, progress on the GUI is slow between work and school.  I ended up restarting this 3 times so far and am going for a fourth restart tomorrow.  It must be perfect!  I keep changing how I'm doing it and the best thing to do is just restart.  On the bright side, every time I restart the code gets cleaner and cleaner.  So here's the progress until I restart tomorrow....

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #474 on: March 29, 2015, 12:09:47 PM »
I'm assuming you basically just mean console commands? 
Well, yeah.
I mean, if you figure out some awesome function to have it work telepathically while still securely on the 5th or 6th re-write, that would be great too, but, definitely console commands until then.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Aaron113

« Reply #475 on: March 29, 2015, 12:36:58 PM »
some awesome function to have it work telepathically
I will add it to my todo...  haha

Offline Aaron113

« Reply #476 on: March 30, 2015, 03:37:49 PM »
Alright so, i think this is going to be the final GUI (fourth time was a charm).  The code is very clean and i generally like the layout.  Any suggestions before I get too far into things?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 03:41:43 PM by Aaron113 »

Offline AphisNano

• That developer guy
« Reply #477 on: April 03, 2015, 02:20:16 AM »
Labels for the two textboxes at the bottom of the panel would be nice.  Otherwise, it looks great.   I've set my server up to track the dev branch so I can play around with it.
Professional Linux Devop

Offline Aaron113

« Reply #478 on: April 03, 2015, 06:47:35 AM »
Labels for the two textboxes at the bottom of the panel would be nice.  Otherwise, it looks great.   I've set my server up to track the dev branch so I can play around with it.

The labels were added a while ago, with much much more.  The auto-completes now populate themselves (the code is a bit messy, but it works).  You're putting pressure on me with the dev branch now haha.  I originally was going to use it just to keep track of the progress.  I didn't plan on pushing a working version, but I guess I should now.  I warn you though, when I said it was a development branch, I meant it.  The versions there may not be entirely stable and/or missing features.  You could very well lose your data files as well.

Also, a HUGE thank you to SticklyMan... Without his xlib functions, my life would be so much more difficult.

EDIT:  I'm almost considering just putting the different classes (restrictions, limits, loadouts) into tabs instead.  Who thinks that would be better?  I may have to experiment with it (hello recode number 5).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:03:51 AM by Aaron113 »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #479 on: April 03, 2015, 08:23:54 PM »
EDIT:  I'm almost considering just putting the different classes (restrictions, limits, loadouts) into tabs instead.  Who thinks that would be better?  I may have to experiment with it (hello recode number 5).

Clarity wise, I think it would be a good idea.
(YES!!! Just a few more until telepathy time)