Author Topic: Expanding the forums.  (Read 2348 times)

Offline LuaTenshi

• Just your ordinary moon angel!
    • Mirai.Red
Expanding the forums.
« on: January 17, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »
I am pretty sure that I have said this before, but I think that this forum should stop from just being a lua forum for garrysmod. Look MrPresident does websites, Megiddo is a security guy, and JamminR does music... I am pretty sure there are many other very skilled people on the forums allready so why not?

One of the reasons the forum should expand is that allot of the time the activity just slows to a grinding hault, and its really annoying having to wait a few weeks for a response that acctually helps you.

Also why not add some style to this forum, because the default simplemachines forum theme is kinda boring.

If some changes where made I am sure people would flood in, hey I will even advertise it for you.
I cry every time I see that I am not a respected member of this community.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: Expanding the forums.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
What is the end goal for these forums? It is to discuss Ulysses projects.

To be honest I'm not even sure what you're suggesting. Open the forums to discuss network security, web design, and the like? It's true that many of our members are talented (yourself included), but that seems like something that would be better served by creating our own separate blogs. And indeed I have my own blog where I would discuss things like that if I had the inclination, http://nayruden.com.

As far as style: Mainly because I want the forums to be as low maintenance as possible. I invest quite enough time in Ulysses already, thank you very much! (Previous sentence intended to make you smile, not attack your suggestions. :)))

There's something to be said for keeping things simple and not mish-mashing as much as you can together in the hopes that it will be "better". I learned this lesson early on in Gmod with the development of UGM.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 04:43:29 PM »
Oh cool. I do websites apparently. :D

Offline LuaTenshi

• Just your ordinary moon angel!
    • Mirai.Red
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 05:35:32 PM »
Oh cool. I do websites apparently. :D

Well you had a pretty awesome minecraft website, and when I was posting my site... you talked about the code so it led me to assume that you do websites...
I cry every time I see that I am not a respected member of this community.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
I didn't do that website, one of my admins did. I know how to do web code, but I don't typically do it.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 07:33:42 PM »
I think it's fun what others may see us as.
Personally, I consider Megiddo more a code guy, me more a security guy (but, as I'm social net paranoid, i don't discuss my career much), and MrPresident more a coding/idea guy.
Stickly man, I consider a coder with emphasis on design.
That may not be who we are/what we study, but, it's what I see.

But indeed, I like the simplicity of these forums. :)
Off Topic is good for most stuff.
Developers Corner is good for discussion of any development, be it gui, lua, or other tech.
The rest, as expected, is intended for Ulysses discussion.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming