Author Topic: 2 questions Changing color of chat text of certain groups within ULX?  (Read 14390 times)

Offline sal101

So i have a server and some people are buying VIP, how would i go about giving them a a color in chat? What i mean to say is when they talk in chat, there name or text would look different than everyone elses...Id also like to do this with admin rank aswell :P

Thanks

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Ulib includes a function called UTeam.
Witin UTeam, group colors, health, armor and a few other items I now forget can be adjusted.
Megiddo states within a thread somewhere that XGUI can be used to configure it, but the manual editing of your server/data/ulib/groups.txt file can be made as shown in this url.
http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,4782.0.html
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline sal101

gah im trying to set up Uteam but I cant :S i put the files in, no go. I took some of the text and pated it into my group, my ranks reset.

How would i go about installing uteam?

Offline Bite That Apple

• Apple Innovations 2010®
    • Fun 4 Everyone Gaming
I'm not sure if you don't understand JamminR or what he meant by that (or if you did something special to your ulx and I didn't understand it...) is that:

uTeam is already standard part of ULX since about some time in 2011 or 2012. As you can see here
https://github.com/Nayruden/Ulysses/tree/master/ulx/lua/ulx/modules and https://github.com/Nayruden/Ulysses/blob/master/ulx/lua/ulx/modules/uteam.lua

it's already in your ulx version (unless your using a REALLY old one).

So to add teams and to 'attach' them on to a group follow this really fast guide I just made up, (also I'm giving this guide using a picture of the xgui menu on google so yeah.. I'm really just doing the teams tab from off my head)

1. Type !menu or !xgui
2. Go to the 'Groups' tab in xgui menu
3. Look down and find something called "Manage Teams >>" then click it
4. You're going to want to click "New Team" (I believe it is called that) and it should refresh xgui and you'll see your newly created team.
5. Click your team and change the color first, and then you can change the name to anything you want.
6. After you've added/changed everything to your liking, look for the drop down menu that contains all the groups (it's below the "groups tab") and click the group you want to add a team to.
7. After you've chosen your group look for the second drop down menu which is infact above the "Manage Teams >>" button, then when the menu drops down click the team you want to add to that group and everything should refresh and work.

If all works as planned then you should have teams assigned to your ulx groups. I'm sorry if my guide may be confusing if you're a new user to ulx or garry's mod, but at least I tried to make it simple :/
Quote from: John F. Kennedy 1963
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.

Offline sal101

Hm, clicking "Manage teams" is what I tried to do, however its faded out, wont let me click it :S Would it be possible im not on the latest version?
I installed ULX through my host's ACP plugin installer.

EDIT: I just looked into the matter, and apparently its because my gamemode is death run, which isnt based on sandbox. Apparently Uteam only works  with Sandbox based modes.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:40:54 AM by sal101 »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Sal, most game modes force team colors on their own.
Several here have even written separate chat color code, and many found out it didn't work if in a game mode where a team chat color was adjusted.
(This is why we (Ulysses) avoid chat modification when at all possible..too many things to go wrong)

You should really ask your game mode author(s) to associate groups with special colors (team or otherwise).
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline sal101

aw =/ well thanks for the replies to both of you!